+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any users of ATC SCM7 & 11s ?

I'm steve.

Default Any users of ATC SCM7 & 11s ?

Would appreciate any comments and observations from users of the latest variants of these speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Come on guys, surely someone has used or listened to either of these and can comment on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm mark.

I had a pair of V2 11's, not masses of bass (no problem for me with a sub) but a great sounding speaker. Far better than mk1 40's I had, treble in particular was smoother and better integrated. No fuss or embellishment, I think they appreciate decent source and amps, deficiency's up-stream may be highlighted??

I'd like the bigger ones, 19 or 20, I suspect the SL driver's a bit special.

I'm Dominic.

I reviewed both these models a while ago and my take on them that the bass is virtually trucated at 50hz, not just rolled off, so a sub should also be paired with them.

As mark says above, the treble is a lot less harsh than the earlier variants and aside for the lack of bass they are a pleasant sounding speaker.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I had a pair of V2 11's, not masses of bass (no problem for me with a sub) but a great sounding speaker. Far better than mk1 40's I had, treble in particular was smoother and better integrated. No fuss or embellishment, I think they appreciate decent source and amps, deficiency's up-stream may be highlighted??

I'd like the bigger ones, 19 or 20, I suspect the SL driver's a bit special.
    I'm not really a bass freak, clean and fast is a lot more important to me than weight and slam, plus bass depends a lot on the room and positioning. I've not had a sealed box speaker for over 30 years so I'm a bit intrigued by the driver technology ATC have put into the 7 & 11 bass drivers to get the low response in a sealed cabinet. Tbh I'm more interested in the 7s, I don't think the pocket could run to the 11s.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    I reviewed both these models a while ago and my take on them that the bass is virtually trucated at 50hz, not just rolled off, so a sub should also be paired with them.

As mark says above, the treble is a lot less harsh than the earlier variants and aside for the lack of bass they are a pleasant sounding speaker.
    Sounds as though they are not something I should consider as using a sub is not an option. I was possibly intending using the SCM7s as a substitute for my Q Acoustics Concept 20s in my second system, according to an Australian review which included a lab test the 20s start to roll off from 130hz which you would expect to make them very bass light, but in my setup in the bedroom that's certainly not the case, in fact I have to use the foam port bungs to curb the bass a bit, being foam they don't completely seal the speakers hence my enquiries about the sealed box ATCs.

I'm mark.

I don't think they're particularly bass light, it's me used to a sub in the room to fill in.
    Small speakers often have a mid-bass hump to give an impression of bass, I found the ATC's uncoloured?

FWIW, I've got Tannoy Eaton's on rotation, by the same token they don't do lots of bass either, I'm still using the sub with them.

The volume knob was turned an extra notch too, the 11's were pretty inefficient.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I don't think they're particularly bass light, it's me used to a sub in the room to fill in.
    Small speakers often have a mid-bass hump to give an impression of bass, I found the ATC's uncoloured?.
    Once the lockdown is finished I intend to have a dem of the SCM7s against my Concept 20s, the Gelcore sandwich cabinets on the Concept 20s pretty much gets rid of any possible cabinet colouration, think the SCM7 will have a fight on its hands with its much cheaper opponent. It’ll have to do something a bit special to tempt me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread