Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a problem at AOS?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly
    I am only deluded in the belief that I have the best HiFi system that I can buy within my budget, and that anything cheaper would not perform as well or be as musical, I tell this to myself regularly or else I will become irrational and start changing system components.

Is that not the definition of Deluding yourself?

I hope you get the irony, because the whole human race is basically delusional😱
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I've never understood that though, as "flouncing" is an alien concept to me. Maybe some of us have become infected by the 'snowflake' generation?

Seriously though, whilst I understand and appreciate where you're coming from, too many folks these days are too easily offended.

Marco.
    100%, my philosophy is to expect an opposing response to everything i post, we don't all have the same point of view and as long opposing responses are polite i'm fine with that. A recent example was on the Audio Technica group on Facebook, a guy posted a photo of his New bottom of the range turntable in white of all colours, my comment was basically that he would have been better off if he had spent the money on a higher quality 2nd hand deck on ebay, all the other posts praised this cheap plastic made in china deck, i was just being honest and i wasn't being offensive at all however other members of the AT page took exception and basically told me if i was on the AT page i shouldn't slate an AT product, some people are VERY easily upset.

Regarding other posts on this thread about people coming and going, i guess i'm squarely in that category, i used to be quite active but as other things in life take the front seat you can't always be online 24/7, there is always a lot of people on the site as many now as there has ever been i think, but posting activity has definitely tailed off in my view and some very knowledgeable people who used to regularly post have either taken a back seat or have disappeared altogether.

To finish I think you're all a bunch of cock wombles especially you Marco the biggest cock womble of all

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cock Womble? Love it! Can I borrow that one sometime?

As for the rest, I'm with you, bro. It would be good to see more of you here though, whenever you get the chance, as I always enjoy your contributions, even when you accuse me and my 'mobile disco' of having a middle-age crisis!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cock Womble? Love it! Can I borrow that one sometime?

As for the rest, I'm with you, bro. It would be good to see more of you here though, whenever you get the chance, as I always enjoy your contributions, even when you accuse me and my 'mobile disco' of having a middle-age crisis!

Marco.
    It is! you know it!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Mike, long time no see. Hope all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Default Is there a problem at AOS?

I think I sit in the “I’m happy with my system(s)” camp, and to be honest, I realised a long time ago that investing silly money in this hobby wasn’t necessarily going to get me a better sound. Different, yes, but not always better. Through my modest experiments over the years I know the type of sound I like, and the biggest thrill for me is picking up a piece of bargain hi-if that sounds great, but when you realise you’ve got 12 pairs of speakers, three turntables, umpteen CD players and amps, plus other detritus not to mention enough cables to circumnavigate the globe you realise you probably don’t need to experiment any more!

I stayed away from all forums of any type for a few years when the kids were really little but what brought me back to AoS is the banter, to be honest, and several of you I have met in person so it is the community for me that is the attraction. I still read some of the equipment threads, but it has and always will be more about the music than the kit for me. Oh, and marmite on toast! ;-)

Last edited by Alex_UK; 16-02-2020 at 00:01.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Mike.

It's all good Alex, the HiFi itch comes and goes and it always seems to be in direct relation to my savings for some reason i'm going to try and be a bit more active on here though.

I was in your neck of the woods last month doing some work at Ipswich hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    It's all good Alex, the HiFi itch comes and goes and it always seems to be in direct relation to my savings for some reason i'm going to try and be a bit more active on here though.

I was in your neck of the woods last month doing some work at Ipswich hospital.
    Glad to hear you’re well.

Indeed, my itch came back when we moved house last year, I suspect the previous owners cat had fleas!

Both my kids were born in Ipswich Hospital, and about 12 years ago I abseiled down the 7 storey maternity block for charity. Won’t be doing that again - on both counts!

Alex

I'm Mike.

For me it was down to work commitments and house moves, luckily the place i have now has a basement which i've claimed as mine and I work for a pro AV firm so any new kit i want i can usually get it through work which makes things more affordable.

I've got a couple of upgrades to my turntables in the pipeline and i've got a hankering for a PrimaLuna valve amp so i'm still on the journey, you're right what you say though Alex about more expensive kit not necessarily sounding better just different, personally i think once you reach a certain quality of kit it all starts to become very subjective and has more to do with personal taste than better sonic quality.

In the end it's all about the love of music.

I'm fuckoff.

I had wondered where some of the entertaining posters had vanished to...

Personally I’ve barely dabbled in anything outside of hifi related discussion on most hifi forums, I can talk rubbish with anyone in ‘the real world’, whereas I can’t really talk too much hifi out there.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast