Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a problem at AOS?

I'm James.

Default Is there a problem at AOS?

Why have so many good people left the site?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

Because I came back?

Times change. People drift in and out....
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Why have so many good people left the site?
    Good question and I'm in know doubt a good number of others ask exactly the same question.

Dont expect answers as sometimes things wont want to be said and other times people just go without saying why.

Either way it's a real shame when good and proper hifi guys leave a place you know they once loved and added much value to in that sense.

I think Abstract Chat and contentious topics havnt helped and in my view those things have all too often and sadly, dominated over the real reason we are all here, which is for the love of music and hifi.

Some may say or fell, as I do, that we've lost our way and need to get back to the heart of it, as I've said, music and hifi, we've seen the 'other stuf' get in the way all too often.

Those of us on the outside looking in could do with out it.

As I say it's a real shame.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Because I came back?

Times change. People drift in and out....
    1+

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm James.

I agree that some subjects have been contentious and spoiled relationships and as you have said Rob it has obscured the real purpose of AOS which is a forum for discussing Audio subjects which is what drew us all here in the first place. I have enjoyed nothing more than engaging with some of you guys and discussing all sorts of audio related subjects no matter how extraneous but it is all the other Guff that I feel has led to spoiled relationships.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I think Abstract Chat and contentious topics havnt helped and in my view those things have all too often and sadly, dominated over the real reason we are all here, which is for the love of music and hifi.
    There's nothing wrong with Abstract Chat, as such. There are some great threads (such as the car, food/drink and photography ones) that are very popular and evolve our community, but it's the "guff", as Jim says (read as some political discussions) that has caused issues.

During the last one of such I fell out with Jerry (Jandl) over something I said. It was my fault and I apologised to him for it, which he accepted, but he's currently taking a holiday from the forum, and Tom (Montesquieu) left over the same thing, kind of in solidarity with Jerry.

Ollie (Bigman80) and I a disagreement over something entirely unrelated to politics, and he decided to leave, plus he wanted to spend more time on AA That about sums up the folks I know who've left recently.

I take on board comments about us having 'lost our way', but it's not so much that rather than allowing some contentious threads to run for too long, and folks (me included) saying things that on reflection were unadvisable and ill-considered, and people again including me, having other interests/hobbies, not just hi-fi, which have been taking up our time. In that respect I intend to get more involved again in hi-fi discussions shortly!

Anyway, I wouldn't normally mention this sort of stuff, but since you've asked, I respect the likes of Jim and you too much, and consider you as friends, to ignore you and brush it all under the carpet

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Pavel.

Well, if people leave by themselves, it's not that bad.

Vinyl Engine, for example, suffers under its very trigger-happy and paranoid owner who is banning people left, right and centre. If you go to any old topic, half of the posters would be banned and their nicknames often changed to something insulting.

Now THAT would be a problem.

I'm James.

I think sometimes we can all get swept up in passionate arguments and forget to respect each other as decent folk which I know many of AOS folk are.

Life is short and the years pass too quickly and we should all try and see a way through to the best aspects of people even if we don't always agree with their views. I have found many many people on this forum not only friendly, helpful and entertaining but have enriched my audio experience which i am always grateful for.

We all started out knowing nothing about audio but sites like this help educate and improve our knowledge no end and I respect and appreciate you have kept it going Marco even in difficult times.

I hope folk who may have moved on may find their way back here and can put the past behind them and start talking about polishing fuses, exotic cartridge modifications and new and amazing sounding equipment again!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Rob,

There's nothing wrong with Abstract Chat, as such. There are some great threads (such as the car, food/drink and photography ones) that are very popular and evolve our community, but it's the "guff", as Jim says (read as some political discussions) that has caused issues.

During the last one of such I fell out with Jerry (Jandl) over something I said. It was my fault and I apologised to him for it, which he accepted, but he's currently taking a holiday from the forum, and Tom (Montesquieu) left over the same thing, kind of in solidarity with Jerry.

Ollie (Bigman80) and I a disagreement over something entirely unrelated to politics, and he decided to leave, plus he wanted to spend more time on AA That about sums up the folks I know who've left recently.

I take on board comments about us having 'lost our way', but it's not so much that rather than allowing some contentious threads to run for too long, and folks (me included) saying things that on reflection were unadvisable and ill-considered, and people again including me, having other interests/hobbies, not just hi-fi, which have been taking up our time. In that respect I intend to get more involved again in hi-fi discussions shortly!

Anyway, I wouldn't normally mention this sort of stuff, but since you've asked, I respect the likes of Jim and you too much, and consider you as friends, to ignore you and brush it all under the carpet

Marco.
    Takes a man to reflect and find himself thinking , 'you know what, on reflection, maybe........ we've all been there so bless up !

Lets get those good old hifi related threads rolling again, tt's, amps, cartridges, valves, cables, Techies, Sony, Speakers and so on anyone ?! - oh and play nice
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think sometimes we can all get swept up in passionate arguments and forget to respect each other as decent folk which I know many of AOS folk are.

Life is short and the years pass too quickly and we should all try and see a way through to the best aspects of people even if we don't always agree with their views. I have found many many people on this forum not only friendly, helpful and entertaining but have enriched my audio experience which i am always grateful for.

We all started out knowing nothing about audio but sites like this help educate and improve our knowledge no end and I respect and appreciate you have kept it going Marco even in difficult times.

I hope folk who may have moved on may find their way back here and can put the past behind them and start talking about polishing fuses, exotic cartridge modifications and new and amazing sounding equipment again!
    Can only agree 150% bro. The stuf I learned hear in terms of hifi - gosh ! It has been key to that aspect of my journey.

And then the good guys too !

This place had me buzzin for years, twas da best hifi forum - all is most certainly not lost, oh no - lets get back to the source, no pun intended
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast