+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retipping Denon DL-103

I'm Paul.

Where did you get the Ortofon G-type headshell with the Neumann 'diamond' contact arrangement, to use on your EMT 929 arm? How do you correct for the different stylus-to-bayonet flange distance?
    This particular neglected EMT 929 was found in a very poor state so between myself and Johnny7@Audio Origami we rescued it as a project many moons ago to work with the SME fit G shell.

EMT also made a 'shorty' SME fit 929 arm in black which my friend has.
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Crimson Elektrik CS1500
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    This particular neglected EMT 929 was found in a very poor state so between myself and Johnny7@Audio Origami we rescued it as a project many moons ago to work with the SME fit G shell.

EMT also made a 'shorty' SME fit 929 arm in black which my friend has.
    Ah - understood. However if it is a standard Ortofon headshell, the difference in the stylus-to-bayonet flange distance, compared with other EIA-fitting headshells (including SME) is 2mm.

The Italian national broadcaster RAI use EMT 950 decks with modified (shortened) 929 arms.

May I ask how much it cost to have your 929 modified? At the moment I use mine with various EMT TSD15 cartridges, or a Denon 103 in an EMT-G headshell.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

The cartridge mounting plate on G shells with the brains blown out are removable and depending on which way you have it there is 1-2mm difference in the offset...

Cost was not much but that was near 15 years ago when J7 kind of just hit the scene (or my attention)... He also had never worked on a 929 and was happy to indulge though I sourced the vintage SME collar plus Cardas wiring...

I like the freedom given to exploit the turntable and EMT purist may scoff but I do not personally get on with the 'EMT' sound with jazz.
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Crimson Elektrik CS1500
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ah - understood. However if it is a standard Ortofon headshell, the difference in the stylus-to-bayonet flange distance, compared with other EIA-fitting headshells (including SME) is 2mm.

The Italian national broadcaster RAI use EMT 950 decks with modified (shortened) 929 arms.

May I ask how much it cost to have your 929 modified? At the moment I use mine with various EMT TSD15 cartridges, or a Denon 103 in an EMT-G headshell.
    I bought a (standard) EMT 929 years ago from https://www.fabtech.de/en_own-products_tone-arms.html and it was very good. He offers each variation of the arm including 12inch.

I'm Drew.

Not sure if this exactly qualifies for the thread, but I have a Holistic Audio HA 103SE-L winging its way to me. It's designed by Killian Bakker, having a tungsten-tension wire mechanism and DL103 magnetic with a 'highly polished' stylus. Should be interesting...

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Not sure if this exactly qualifies for the thread, but I have a Holistic Audio HA 103SE-L winging its way to me. It's designed by Killian Bakker, having a tungsten-tension wire mechanism and DL103 magnetic system and 'highly polished' stylus. Should be interesting...

Interesting indeed! Holistic Audio is now my 'go to' place for all cartridge service/re-tip jobs. Kilian re-tipped and adjusted a well-worn Miyajima Shilabe and it is indistinguishable from a new example - not many cartridge re-tippers take care to understand the original maker's design philosophy, but Kilian does and I hope your DL-103 loses none of its 'soul'. Kilian's prices are very reasonable and the turnaround a matter of a couple of weeks.

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Audio View Post
    Interesting indeed! Holistic Audio is now my 'go to' place for all cartridge service/re-tip jobs. Kilian re-tipped and adjusted a well-worn Miyajima Shilabe and it is indistinguishable from a new example - not many cartridge re-tippers take care to understand the original maker's design philosophy, but Kilian does and I hope your DL-103 loses none of its 'soul'. Kilian's prices are very reasonable and the turnaround a matter of a couple of weeks.
    I'm looking forward to using it; it's one of his own designs 'based on' the 103 but an altogether more complete animal from what I can gather. Retail is 1899 euro-fingers crossed!

I'm Kevin.

Big man recently bought one of these, and is happy with it so far.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    I'm looking forward to using it; it's one of his own designs 'based on' the 103 but an altogether more complete animal from what I can gather. Retail is 1899 euro-fingers crossed!
    What are the specs , weight , compliance , stylus profile , etc... Did you manage to set yours up yet?

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    What are the specs , weight , compliance , stylus profile , etc... Did you manage to set yours up yet?
    Waiting on a replacement to arrive as the cantilever was damaged in shipping

Rare cart but there are a couple of excellent reviews online

The specs are as follows:

Cartridge Type: LOMC
    Cantilever: Beryllium - Aluminium Alloy
    Stylus: Ogura Solid Shank Diamond. 6x Polished
    Freq Response: 22-32Khz
    Channel Separation: 29db @ 1Khz
    Channel sensitivity Difference: <1db @ 1Khz
    Mass: 11g
    Output Voltage: 0.38mV @ 1Khz, 50mm/sec
    Tracking weight: 2.55 - 2.65g
    Compliance: 11Cu @ 100Hz