+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pre-amp problems

I'm Evie.

Default Pre-amp problems

At present I have a pair of Naim Nap 155XS power amplifiers driving some Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60s. I am using a Conrad Johnson PVL14 as the pre-amplifier but the noise floor is quit high, the bass (20-40Hz) isn’t too clever and it has been eating its way through valves (when really they should last a lot longer).
    What would anybody recommend as a new pre-amp?

I'm Dave.

Budget ?

I'm Evie.

Default Pre-amp problems (continued)

At present I have a pair of Naim Nap 155XS power amplifiers driving some Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60s. I am using a Conrad Johnson PVL14 as the pre-amplifier but the noise floor is quit high, the bass (20-40Hz) isn’t too clever and it has been eating its way through valves (when really they should last a lot longer).
    What would anybody recommend as a new pre-amp?

Budget would be £2,500 limit.

I am happy to buy second hand stuff.

I'm Alan.

It does sound like your Conrad Johnson isn't quite as it should be, small signal valves should last for ages.

Is it a 220V version, it could be that the voltages are too high when used on UK mains. I could take a look at it and see if you wish.

I'm Steve.

Try some Rothwell attenuators plugged in at the power amp end.

I had the same problem as you. I have a VTL valve pre and XTC transistor power amp and the noise floor was high.

I thought about replacing the pre but since I put the attenuators in it sounds so much better that I am now happy with my set up.

Saved me a packet.

Don't know why your valves are failing though. The 60's are lovely speakers.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread