+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Granite plinths and treble distortion

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Lawrence, where did you go for your granite plinthsand how much did they cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of trying something with my Zu speakers which have downward firing ports. Hadn't decided whether to use granite or oak worktops/chopping boards.
    I think they came with some speakers I bought years ago. They might be chopping boards as they're only about 15mm thick, I know some supermarkets used to sell them, although these are quite large maybe 30x40cm.

I've got another pair which someone had made by a headstone maker. They're lovely and thick with bevelled edges but they weren't quite big enough.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've always been a bit dubious of these on carpets as I felt they rocked slightly and spikes were better. However I've just had a night and day epiphany with my new speakers (Jas Audio Orior Grands).
    Crikey they look a bit tasty.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

If they are going udner speakers, they need to be massy, otherwise they just wobble around and have no effect. I have Granite for my demo room and it is 1.5 inches thick and 2 ft square. No need for being so large at home but you need the weight.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Crikey they look a bit tasty.
    They are tasty. Sadly they got damaged in transit. Normally this would really upset me, especially at the price I paid, but they sound SO nice that I just forget about it and get on with listening

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If they are going udner speakers, they need to be massy, otherwise they just wobble around and have no effect. I have Granite for my demo room and it is 1.5 inches thick and 2 ft square. No need for being so large at home but you need the weight.
    I thought that but my 1" thick ones were too small. Fortunately these thinner ones still seem to work. I don't play very loud if that helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12