+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Innovations s500

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Great, have you tried your TT yet, if you have a favourite album on CD and Vinyl, it may be good to compare the two, although this can be tricky if not from the same master and what was done when futon CD. It will give you an idea though. Experiment with the toe in, I only used to have mine at about 10 degrees overall.
    Still haven't gotten around to setting up either of my TT's yet, but been listening a fair bit today and yesterday to CDs, and this is the best I've ever heard jazz, these speakers seem to suit my room well, apart from a slight shrillness in upper treble, like high pitched wind instruments, hoping a different cdp would sought that. An 'in the room' feel when it comes to instruments, sounding 'live', looking forward to more listening with this combo now, need to change room around too, so speakers can go into corners to get more bass.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andre.

Audio Innovations '300' Mk.1. was a good amp.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Still haven't gotten around to setting up either of my TT's yet, but been listening a fair bit today and yesterday to CDs, and this is the best I've ever heard jazz, these speakers seem to suit my room well, apart from a slight shrillness in upper treble, like high pitched wind instruments, hoping a different cdp would sought that. An 'in the room' feel when it comes to instruments, sounding 'live', looking forward to more listening with this combo now, need to change room around too, so speakers can go into corners to get more bass.
    Bass is subjective, the ANs are renowned for being very accurate. The thing is that being accurate means that the bass will be tight and defined, it will probably not be what you are familiar with, which is slightly flabby and bloated, but not right. If you move the speakers into corners you are likely badly re-enforce the bass creating a muddle sound. My advise is take your time getting used to how it sounds and then make small incremental changes with speaker position. It might take a couple of weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Bass is subjective, the ANs are renowned for being very accurate. The thing is that being accurate means that the bass will be tight and defined, it will probably not be what you are familiar with, which is slightly flabby and bloated, but not right. If you move the speakers into corners you are likely badly re-enforce the bass creating a muddle sound. My advise is take your time getting used to how it sounds and then make small incremental changes with speaker position. It might take a couple of weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought the advice was to have these in corners? Doesn't matter for now anyway, listening to Cannonball Adderley 'Something else', and its sublime. Nice big soundstage.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Who said put them in the corners, let alone any other speaker. Basic acoustics means that you will create relfelct and false re-enforcements that will mean you loose clarity and definition, in the case of bass in the worst case BOOM. So by all means move the speakers but start at the best usual position for your room and then experiment to see if it improves, sometimes a small movement like 1” forward, back or either way sideways can have a surprising change. Also you might want to move your listening position back or forwards, but I think I recall you saying it was fixed so in that case it the speaker position to optimise within what is practical.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Mike.

Who said put them in the corners, let alone any other speaker. Basic acoustics means that you will create relfelct and false re-enforcements that will mean you loose clarity and definition, in the case of bass in the worst case BOOM. So by all means move the speakers but start at the best usual position for your room and then experiment to see if it improves, sometimes a small movement like 1” forward, back or either way sideways can have a surprising change. Also you might want to move your listening position back or forwards, but I think I recall you saying it was fixed so in that case it the speaker position to optimise within what is practical.
    It must be unique to these speakers cos there is a fair bit of advice out there about corner placement for the ANK's, mind you I will just use my ears and experiment, as every room is different. Playing some more cds now, and its not sounding so good tonight, tried some Hendrix then some Jazz with flute, and it really seems to struggle with the high trebles, had to turn if off, was hurting my ears! Strange as everybody recommends the ANks as the answer to stridency problems in a system. Well, ain't gonna be able to afford a better cdp for some time, so just gonna have to avoid those high pitched wind instruments for a while...…...But I even wonder would a better (or just different) cdp work, will set up TT tomorrow if I get time and see how that sounds. Whats the phono stage on these like? Doubt it will better my G Slee era v.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Indeed it was/is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Audio Innovations '300' Mk.1. was a good amp.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Mike.

Played Miles Davis, kind of blue, it was unlistenable, time to plug the Charios back in, yawn.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    When I tube rolled my 500 back in the day I did find some brands of 83 produced noise when in the middle section, its too long ago to recall which. I tried Mullards, Gold Aero and others I can’t recall.
    Hi Mike,

I find it bit odd you find the ANs bright, but it might be due to your listening preferences and what you are used to.

Have a read of https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-an...eakers-review/ paying particular attention to the positioning of them as mentioned, this may help.

Some review comment may explain what you are finding see http://www.audioreview.com/product/s...note/an-k.html

It might be work persevering for a bit before discounting them.

Cheers, and Stay Safe

Adrian

I'm Mike.

Hi Mike,

I find it bit odd you find the ANs bright, but it might be due to your listening preferences and what you are used to.

Have a read of https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-an...eakers-review/ paying particular attention to the positioning of them as mentioned, this may help.

Some review comment may explain what you are finding see http://www.audioreview.com/product/s...note/an-k.html

It might be work persevering for a bit before discounting them.

Cheers, and Stay Safe

Adrian
    Thanks for that Adrian. I love these speakers, just the higher trebles are too sharp. Peter from AN suggested my CDP or speaker cables may be at fault, but I changed cables to apparently more forgiving ones and not a lot of difference, so CDP next, tomorrow I should finally get time to reset my tonearm, there's nothing else to do!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast