+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Innovations s500

I'm Adrian.

I had 2 and both and sounded great, the first I had from new and had to return to Brighton with it as the transformer developed and nasty buzz. The other one I purchased secondhand and ran it for 3 years and was superb, I stupidly sold it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I had 2 and both and sounded great, the first I had from new and had to return to Brighton with it as the transformer developed and nasty buzz. The other one I purchased secondhand and ran it for 3 years and was superb, I stupidly sold it.
    Were they both types, Hinkley and non Hinkley transformers? That is the versions with 4/8/16 ohm and just 4/8 ohm speaker posts. Wonder if they're still in Brighton? May'be they could have a quick look at one if I buy it, there used to be an AN shop in Brighton until a decade or so back, on a an out of the way road next to a corner shop.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Were they both types, Hinkley and non Hinkley transformers? That is the versions with 4/8/16 ohm and just 4/8 ohm speaker posts. Wonder if they're still in Brighton? May'be they could have a quick look at one if I buy it, there used to be an AN shop in Brighton until a decade or so back, on a an out of the way road next to a corner shop.
    Audio Innovations went bust and the name was sold on, the only thing that was available after that was the Alto, a weird looking solid state amp, but I don’t know who made them. Richer Sounds sold them in the UK.

The only survivor from that period, was Audio Note UK, which grew out of Audio Innovations distributing Audio Note and Peter Q obtaining the name. Audio Note UK also built Snell copies, and would eventually make turntables based on Voyds.

Audio Innovations back in the day early 90s most often was used with Snell speakers and Voyd turntables.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

If I remember correctly they were both the first type, I met Peter Q, about 1989 I think, who sold me the first and when he replaced the transformer I got him to triode wire it. Peter was a nice chap and very helpful. I also used it with a pair of Snell type K’ on pirate stands, a great match. I don’t really know why I sold any of it it to be honest.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Mike.

Emailed Peter at AN, and he said the earlier ones had 'a more gentle and pleasant sound', but both were good and can be improved with not too much hassle.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

If I remember correctly they were both the first type, I met Peter Q, about 1989 I think, who sold me the first and when he replaced the transformer I got him to triode wire it. Peter was a nice chap and very helpful. I also used it with a pair of Snell type K’ on pirate stands, a great match. I don’t really know why I sold any of it it to be honest.
    I have the AN K types, which sounded a bit flat with my Quad, I did try them with a friends valve amp and they were much better with that, then tried the valve amp with my usual speakers, and the bass was too much. It seems there are a few different ways of achieving the desired sound. Cost seems to be a rather abstract factor in it all.

I'm Mike.

Well I've gone for an early issue version, won't be with for a month or so yet though, paying in instalments

I'm Adrian.

Well I've gone for an early issue version, won't be with for a month or so yet though, paying in instalments
    Mike, with any luck the AI 500 should partner well with the Chario’s, hopefully it will result in a lovely smooth, detailed and musical sound that you you will love. Let us know how you get on.

If I had to downsize hifi, I think I would hunt out an AI 500 and try it with the JBL 100’s I still have, and front end it with a more sensibly priced TT with a good MM cart and isolate it well, running MC cart can be costly if you listen a lot. If the JBL’s didn’t work then I look out for something else.

I'm Mike.

Mike, with any luck the AI 500 should partner well with the Chario’s, hopefully it will result in a lovely smooth, detailed and musical sound that you you will love. Let us know how you get on.

If I had to downsize hifi, I think I would hunt out an AI 500 and try it with the JBL 100’s I still have, and front end it with a more sensibly priced TT with a good MM cart and isolate it well, running MC cart can be costly if you listen a lot. If the JBL’s didn’t work then I look out for something else.
    I'm gonna use it with the AN Ks I acquired recently, as they don't match well with my Quad.

I'm Adrian.

I'm gonna use it with the AN Ks I acquired recently, as they don't match well with my Quad.
    Well I think that will be extremely good! I would recommend you hunt down some Pirate stands for them like these https://picclick.co.uk/Snell-Type-K-...449476671.html or similar, Audio Note sell them but I suspect they will be pricey. They are very heavy and really make a difference to the focus and depth of the sound stage, mine were filled with kiln dried sand. I used to have my Snells sat on them on 4 blobs of blue-tack as recommended by the HiFi dealer in Farnham where I got them from in 1987.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast