+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Innovations s500

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks chaps, seems this is a common thing with these amps, Jez over on the WAM used to work for AN and said that some of the early models had to have this adjustment after they were manufactured, or a dealer might have done it, whichever reason it all seems quite legit, so I'll plug it in later and hopefully I'll like the results! I hope the transformers are original though, that was the reason I sought out an early model! Paid £700 for it, the el34 valves are less than a year old, plus the seller gave me a few other valves too.
    Well that all sounds good, you may have been worrying unnecessarily, if you like it then I would try the Genelec Golden Lion valves when funds allow.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Turned this on for the first time tonight, 3 smaller valves on the right don't light up, I am using only a cd player at the moment, is this normal? It sounds ok, haven't had a proper listen yet though.

[/url]IMG_20200319_203503058_HDR by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm David.

Some ecc83s eg Sovteks really look like they are not working. If the music sounds right the one in the middle is working for cd. Test the phono, even with no input you should hear a rushing sound as you turn the vol up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Tried the S500 with my Chario syntars, was quite nice, then with the AN K's, very lively and realistic sound, almost like hearing it live, been playing Blue Note cds, but the treble is too sharp for me, wonder if I should upgrade the CD player? Yet to hear phono, as this Nima arm is a PITA!
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 19-03-2020 at 23:38.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

You will just be getting a more accurate reproduction now, so the adage put crap in get crap out come more into play. Don’t take that the wrong way, I am not saying your cd is crap, just any weakness or trait in a front end component will likely be highlighted more. A DAC would probably help. Give your ears time to become a customised before making decisions.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    You will just be getting a more accurate reproduction now, so the adage put crap in get crap out come more into play. Don’t take that the wrong way, I am not saying your cd is crap, just any weakness or trait in a front end component will likely be highlighted more. A DAC would probably help. Give your ears time to become a customised before making decisions.
    My cdp is ancient and could do with a service! I certainly don't want to be wasting time getting rid of amp/speakers when its the sources which are at fault. So you say the ANKs would be more revealing than the Chario Syntars?

I'm Adrian.

Well my experience with the AN S500 with Snell Js was that it was very revealing. Initially I had a Luxman D600 CDP ( think that was the model) with valve pre-amp out, very good and smooth, I did comparisons with an Akai CDP of that time, about 88, and the Akai was top endy, a couple of years later I forked put on a Meridian 508 CDP which was a little more revealing overall than the Luxman, not necessarily worth it in retrospect.

From my experience I would say a reasonable CDP with a good modern on board DAC, or a recognised good older one as transport into a DAC is the other way to go.

From a SQ to VFM point of view for a DAC you would be hard pushed to better a Caiman Seg and then you could get a RPI with SPDIF card like HiFiBerry make, then you can use this for streaming local digital files and from the internet. This is the solution I currently use and find the SQ pretty good, especially with a service like TIDAL or using cd+ quality files, even 320kbps radio services can sound pretty good for casual listening.

With respect to you TT, cartridge, phono combo you should now be able to hear it at its best, with the S500 and AN speakers, but remember if you put a bad or not so well recorded record it’s issues may be highlighted more. However you should get a lovely musical and detailed presentation than compared to before IMO.

By the way I did replace the Snells with KEF Ref 3.2’s after 10 years and I actually came to the view that it was a mistake, on paper and reviews the KEFs should have been better and the cost 3 times as much. But actually they did not have the control and grip at the lower end that the Snells had and certainly your ANs should be similar.

Take your time to get used to it, it would be nice to hear if I am ever your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Well my experience with the AN S500 with Snell Js was that it was very revealing. Initially I had a Luxman D600 CDP ( think that was the model) with valve pre-amp out, very good and smooth, I did comparisons with an Akai CDP of that time, about 88, and the Akai was top endy, a couple of years later I forked put on a Meridian 508 CDP which was a little more revealing overall than the Luxman, not necessarily worth it in retrospect.

From my experience I would say a reasonable CDP with a good modern on board DAC, or a recognised good older one as transport into a DAC is the other way to go.

From a SQ to VFM point of view for a DAC you would be hard pushed to better a Caiman Seg and then you could get a RPI with SPDIF card like HiFiBerry make, then you can use this for streaming local digital files and from the internet. This is the solution I currently use and find the SQ pretty good, especially with a service like TIDAL or using cd+ quality files, even 320kbps radio services can sound pretty good for casual listening.

With respect to you TT, cartridge, phono combo you should now be able to hear it at its best, with the S500 and AN speakers, but remember if you put a bad or not so well recorded record it’s issues may be highlighted more. However you should get a lovely musical and detailed presentation than compared to before IMO.

By the way I did replace the Snells with KEF Ref 3.2’s after 10 years and I actually came to the view that it was a mistake, on paper and reviews the KEFs should have been better and the cost 3 times as much. But actually they did not have the control and grip at the lower end that the Snells had and certainly your ANs should be similar.

Take your time to get used to it, it would be nice to hear if I am ever your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks as ever for your great advice. Listening briefly to Dusty in Memphis, I say briefly, this is the third time I've played it! The sound is probably the most pleasing I've heard this recording. Greater clarity, a slightly toppy sound in places though, the whispers at the end of the words she sings trailing a bit, I think that is obviously the lack of bass, in which case I'd need to rearrange my room to get the speakers tighter in the corners. Be good to hear your opinion if you're ever down this way. I will have to sort out a better cdp though when funds allow. Currently using a Mission pcm 7000, which I do prefer to my Pioneer PD-8700, I've got a Dac -01 tucked away somewhere too which I've yet to plug in!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks as ever for your great advice. Listening briefly to Dusty in Memphis, I say briefly, this is the third time I've played it! The sound is probably the most pleasing I've heard this recording. Greater clarity, a slightly toppy sound in places though, the whispers at the end of the words she sings trailing a bit, I think that is obviously the lack of bass, in which case I'd need to rearrange my room to get the speakers tighter in the corners. Be good to hear your opinion if you're ever down this way. I will have to sort out a better cdp though when funds allow. Currently using a Mission pcm 7000, which I do prefer to my Pioneer PD-8700, I've got a Dac -01 tucked away somewhere too which I've yet to plug in!
    Great, have you tried your TT yet, if you have a favourite album on CD and Vinyl, it may be good to compare the two, although this can be tricky if not from the same master and what was done when futon CD. It will give you an idea though. Experiment with the toe in, I only used to have mine at about 10 degrees overall.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AD Audio View Post
    The middle ecc83 is the line stage driver valve. The left-hand two are the phono stage. There's no greater requirement for the middle valve
    David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    When I tube rolled my 500 back in the day I did find some brands of 83 produced noise when in the middle section, its too long ago to recall which. I tried Mullards, Gold Aero and others I can’t recall.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast