+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connect I pad by wifi

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    You may be right - depends how fussy the OP is. Powerline units are sometimes the only practical way to go - whether they cause interference or not, and sometimes they just don't work, because the mains circuits don't always go through the same consumer unit.

I suppose some people don't use cordless phones at home, or mobile phones, or microwave ovens, or indeed computers, all of which may cause mutual interference.

I don't like wireless repeaters much either.
    powerline units only work with both units plugged into the same circuit.
    When the wifi was weak upstairs that wasn't an option as the upstairs and downstairs have separate ring circuits as does the kitchen. I can't see a use for them unless a huge house had just one ring circuit.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

You probably only need a wireless access point, if you are intending to buy a new one. a router might well be overkill, and lead to additional problems. If you did use a router, and connected that to a wired network, you might discover that you’d get unwanted loops, thought this hazard depends on the devices and their configuration.

Although you can probably use the same SSID and channel numbers, you might find it easier to have a different SSID. If you use the same SSID, it’s almost certainly a good idea to use a different channel number.

You might also want to use different wireless security methods for the additional point. I did that once to allow an older device to connect, thought these days that shouldn’t be necessary.

These days most mobile devices will roam quite easily between different access points, even if you do use different SSIDs and wireless channels.

Good luck with this.
    my I phone and I pad automatically connect to every wifi router that I've signed in to so when I get the wifi access point it should be simple to sign in to it once job done.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Andre.

Should be no different to your mobile phone connecting

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Should be no different to your mobile phone connecting
    I take you are referring to my I pad, yes just the same.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I would not touch powerline adapters either ....
    "I know" says I, "but you'd be surprised at how many devices do pick it up and try to amplify what cannot be heard".

A WAP would be preferable. Some even have a data switch inbuilt, so you could have wired and wireless access.
    Or you could use a redundant wireless router, turn the DHCP off and do the same.
    I haven't run powerline systems for hi-fi for some while now, but a couple of days ago I had a rethink about the connection of our TV to the router. For boring reasons to do with being close to the North Pole, getting regular TV signals via an aerial is almost impossible, and satellite reception works, but is not always convenient. I would like to get the satellite system working better, but that would require more wiring, so I've not pursued that too vigorously. It's still a possible project, but not urgent, nor immediate.

I did in the end connect the TV with a powerline link, and some of the problems of the TV have now largely disappeared. Since reconnecting with the powerline link, the buffering which was a problem before - with an Amazon Fire HD wireless link, appears to have gone. Additionally, the lip sync issues which we noticed after running TV for a while also seem to have gone.

I have only played one CD since doing this, and I can't in honesty say I listened closely enough to detect the presence of the interference from the powerline system. I suppose if I were really bothered I could disconnect it when I wanted to listen to music rather than watch TV.

I'm not saying there's absolutely no interference, but simply that for practical purposes sometimes powerline systems have their uses. I also took the opportunity of reconfiguring the system to check out the operation of another powerline link - a repeater, which has a wireless access point at one end and a powerline unit at the other. I was not sure how this operated before, as TP-link suggest it's plug and play, but don't say how it works. However, as far as I can see, the extension really is via the powerline, not via wireless (like a wireless repeater) - tested by disconnecting one end of the link and waiting to see if it would reconnect via a wireless link. It didn't. That system was based on this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K...s%2C167&sr=8-6 for use with a TV which doesn't have an ethernet connection.

The link to the 49 inch 4k TV is via two powerline adapters back to back - as that TV does have an ethernet socket.
    Dave

I'm paul.

Just looking at my thread title and realising wifi is the only way to connect an iPad.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Just looking at my thread title and realising wifi is the only way to connect an iPad.
    No it has Bluetooth as well, which means you can connect to other devices using it, most people forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

I haven't run powerline systems for hi-fi for some while now, but a couple of days ago I had a rethink about the connection of our TV to the router. For boring reasons to do with being close to the North Pole, getting regular TV signals via an aerial is almost impossible, and satellite reception works, but is not always convenient. I would like to get the satellite system working better, but that would require more wiring, so I've not pursued that too vigorously. It's still a possible project, but not urgent, nor immediate.

I did in the end connect the TV with a powerline link, and some of the problems of the TV have now largely disappeared. Since reconnecting with the powerline link, the buffering which was a problem before - with an Amazon Fire HD wireless link, appears to have gone. Additionally, the lip sync issues which we noticed after running TV for a while also seem to have gone.

I have only played one CD since doing this, and I can't in honesty say I listened closely enough to detect the presence of the interference from the powerline system. I suppose if I were really bothered I could disconnect it when I wanted to listen to music rather than watch TV.

I'm not saying there's absolutely no interference, but simply that for practical purposes sometimes powerline systems have their uses. I also took the opportunity of reconfiguring the system to check out the operation of another powerline link - a repeater, which has a wireless access point at one end and a powerline unit at the other. I was not sure how this operated before, as TP-link suggest it's plug and play, but don't say how it works. However, as far as I can see, the extension really is via the powerline, not via wireless (like a wireless repeater) - tested by disconnecting one end of the link and waiting to see if it would reconnect via a wireless link. It didn't. That system was based on this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K...s%2C167&sr=8-6 for use with a TV which doesn't have an ethernet connection.

The link to the 49 inch 4k TV is via two powerline adapters back to back - as that TV does have an ethernet socket.
    Yep hard wiring a device that’s needing a consistent and reliable stream of data is still the best way. Although sometimes on WiFi moving to a little used band can help. Most people know there are 10 available WiFi bands, but in fact there are more if your gear will allow you to use them.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Yep hard wiring a device that’s needing a consistent and reliable stream of data is still the best way. Although sometimes on WiFi moving to a little used band can help. Most people know there are 10 available WiFi bands, but in fact there are more if your gear will allow you to use them.
    I would probably use wire for most connections if it were convenient to do so, but often it isn’t, either for distance reasons, or because the wiring route is too tricky, or because “you know who” doesn’t like tripping up over the wires I put across rooms. Sometimes I put in temporary wired links (which may cross rooms) if I need a good fast reliable link - for example for a major software update involving many gigabytes of data.
    Dave

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    No it has Bluetooth as well, which means you can connect to other devices using it, most people forget about it.

thats the point of being able to connect to the Internet by wifi and by Bluetooth to my project ds2 digital. Afaik it can only connect to the Internet by wifi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast