+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Baffleless

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I remember the review using those '6000' Dipole subs with Quad '63' stats
    That set up was used by Noel Keywood, so you probably read about it in HiFi World.
    Barry

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye me too, these put me in mind of them. Never heard any though.
    No, me neither.

Perhaps you could persuade him to bring these to NEBO?

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That set up was used by Noel Keywood, so you probably read about it in HiFi World.
    No it was before Hi-Fi World. I remember the subs being in Flight Cases..

Are the two bass drivers fed in phase or in anti-phase? By in phase, I mean the two drivers move towards one another, squeezing the air between them and pushing it out the sides.
    Barry

I'm Andre.

In phase would be Bi-pole out of phase Di-pole..

Yes I know that, but I'm trying to work out how these 'baffleless' designs work and not suffer from wave cancellation.
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    No, me neither.

Perhaps you could persuade him to bring these to NEBO?
    I tried. He was not keen, understandably so, the bass drivers alone are 80kg..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Patrick.

Yes I know that, but I'm trying to work out how these 'baffleless' designs work and not suffer from wave cancellation.
    Fill yer boots - https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=31371.0

"In the next iteration I placed the woofers facing each other, simply because they were easier to mount as previously the rear speaker required longe standoffs to clear the frame. In this configuration, BTW, I had to reverse the polarity on one of the woofers to keep them acoustically in phase:"

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Are the two bass drivers fed in phase or in anti-phase? By in phase, I mean the two drivers move towards one another, squeezing the air between them and pushing it out the sides.
    Out of phase electrically Barry, so the cones work in tandem.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Fill yer boots - https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=31371.0

"In the next iteration I placed the woofers facing each other, simply because they were easier to mount as previously the rear speaker required longe standoffs to clear the frame. In this configuration, BTW, I had to reverse the polarity on one of the woofers to keep them acoustically in phase:"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Out of phase electrically Barry, so the cones work in tandem.
    I'm not sure I'm any the wiser. Are both woofers wired in anti-phase, or just one? If just one then you'd expect almost complete cancelation to occur in the space between the two woofers?

EDIT - Thinking about it more, working in tandem probably does need one wired in anti-phase, so that the two drivers 'suck' and 'blow' in the same lateral direction and not against each other.
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast