+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Tannoys and Technics advice

I'm Glen.

Default Vintage Tannoys and Technics advice

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice regarding a friend of a friends system he’s selling. He’s getting on and moving house and just wants rid of his old system. He has a pair of Tannoy Cheviot speakers, which look like the foam surrounds have gone. Also a complete Technics system of a SL5300 DD turntable, SU7300 amp, with matching tuner and tape deck.
    I’m not sure what works yet, but he only wants £100 for the lot. What do you think? Any help would be appreciated.
    Does anyone know how much foam surrounds are for the speakers and if they’re worth repairing? I’m currently using Snell E/III’s which I reconed myself, how do they compare sound wise?

Anyway, thanks in advance...

I'm Martin.

The Cheviots are worth a lot more than a ton even if they need a re-foam.

The Technics kit is not worth much but still worth more than £100

Properly sorted the Cheviots will give most speakers a run for the money. If it were me I'd bite his arm off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

I would definitely have it all, repair the Cheviots, not a hard job and see if you like them, Try out the other gear, keep what you like or put it up on here for sale.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Anto.

That TT is quartz lock I think - not a worldbeater but definately worth a buy. The Tannoys certainly worth that too
    Seems a bargain IMO
    I have just googled the Amp - 41 watts , but a real good looking thing in a 70's way (VU meters brushed aluminium finish )
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../su-7300.shtml
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    I have just googled the Amp - 41 watts , but a real good looking thing in a 70's way (VU meters brushed aluminium finish )
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../su-7300.shtml
    Yep it's lovely, they just don't fetch much money these days. Depressingly it seems people would rather go for some little tat-box from China if they want a budget amp for whatever purpose.

The Cheviots be worth well over a grand once re-foamed though and the deck would fetch a ton on ebay no bother.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Glen.

Thanks guys, seems like a good deal to me too. I only have an old P2 on loan from a friend at the moment, so the TT might be worth having for now. The amp does look good, but it’s he speakers that seem to be the ones.
    I’ll get them and let you know! Where is the best place to get the foam surrounds please?
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    Thanks guys, seems like a good deal to me too. I only have an old P2 on loan from a friend at the moment, so the TT might be worth having for now. The amp does look good, but it’s he speakers that seem to be the ones.
    I’ll get them and let you know! Where is the best place to get the foam surrounds please?
    Thanks for the replies!
    There are some here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-De...YAAMXQDnpTX~i- you need to take care to ensure the speaker is centred before you glue the foam to the metal frame, there are several videos on youtube.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    There are some here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-De...YAAMXQDnpTX~i- you need to take care to ensure the speaker is centred before you glue the foam to the metal frame, there are several videos on youtube.
    Thanks Adrian, appreciate the link.

I'm Dan.

If you don't I will
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    If you don't I will
    think I better then!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast