+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Electric cars, and the national grid!

I'm Andre.

Well it seem our bus company are having all new Lecky busses

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Well it seem our bus company are having all new Lecky busses
    That has to be the way to go for public transport.. not that I ever use it though...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I reckon hydrogen powered cars is the way to go...

I'd have an electric car tomorrow but I have no way of charging it... anyone without a garage or driveway simply cannot charge an electric car...

If they can perfect how they extract hydrogen then that'd be a simple way of gettting zero emission cars on the road
    Hydrogen storage is a problem. Several stages for getting it into cars.

1. Generate hydrogen - probably using electrolysis - uses energy.
    2. Compress the hydrogen to put it into tanks (bottles?) - uses more energy

Then I think the way the hydrogen is used - probably some form of fuel cell - and the bottles would have to be swapped when the gas runs out.
    I believe Toyota are selling a hydrogen based car.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/new-mirai/

Could be hazardous having vehicles driving around with hydrogen bottles under pressure.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

A couple of points - re the Mirai.

1. Hydrogen is perhaps most likely to be produced by steam reforming or gasification, rather than electrolysis. There are other ways.

At present gasification might help with other issues, such as waste disposal.

2. Hydrogen “bottles” are not swapped out, but rather the charging stations refill the containers with hydrogen under pressure.

I didn’t know this was possible/viable, but it seems it is the method used.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

98% of hydrogen is produced by steam methane reforming, which emits carbon dioxide.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    98% of hydrogen is produced by steam methane reforming, which emits carbon dioxide.
    I didn’t know this, but see post 164 where I provided more details. Electrolysis is energy intensive, but if the electricity is produced “renewably” then no additional CO2 should be released. This might not always be the case, however.

Fuel cell efficiency as used in vehicles is unlikely to be much over 60% - a max of about 80% for the fuel cell/inverter, then a further loss in converting the electrical energy to motion.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...fuel-cell3.htm

Overall electric cars are a bit more efficient than hydrogen fuel cell cars - see the next page from the link above. Both are more efficient than petrol or diesel cars.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

yes if we have enough renewables. just have to wait see i think. its fairly early days.. Think VW pulled out of it for now anyway. Toyota are continuing. they said they were losing 100k a car on the hydrogen one.. sure this will be as its new tech and when the laws of mass production(if it happens) kick in they will get it back.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617