+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars, and the national grid!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    You'll go deaf, you know!

Go stand behind a Tornado or similar taking off - without wearing ear defenders. Maybe that'll "do" it for you!
    Lol - I take it you're not much of a 'petrol head' then, Dave?

I'm not saying that this applies to you, but I've never seen the point in owning a car if you don't actually LIKE driving. There are plenty of other forms of transport available.

For me, cars aren't t simply metal boxes to get you from A to B, but owning them is one of life's pleasures, as indeed is driving in a nice car, in scenic areas largely free from traffic, and yes, as you know from living where you do now, such things still exist!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Yes, but I don’t understand why every answer needs to be the perfect answer, doing nothing is worse and using other sectors problems to justify lack of action is a very Trump way of behaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't disagree but we need to look at practicalities and the actual facts. The fact is, the UK only produces around 1% of global greenhouse gases emissions. Contrast that with China at around 30%, or the US at around 16%.

The fact is, anything the UK does will make no practical difference!

Yes yes people can say "Well we need to lead the way" but it still will make no practical difference unless the likes of China and the US take drastic action also. I really can't see that, can you?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I totally agree, Ali. Those are the indisputable facts. However, as a responsible person, even if it's just to feel good that you're doing the right thing, it's still good not to be wasteful and think about how your lifestyle impacts on the environment, even in the tiniest way.

For me, that's just natural, as it's how I'm wired

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, I totally agree, I try to do the same, valve amps and Class A amps aside lol.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I don't disagree but we need to look at practicalities and the actual facts. The fact is, the UK only produces around 1% of global greenhouse gases emissions. Contrast that with China at around 30%, or the US at around 16%.

The fact is, anything the UK does will make no practical difference!

Yes yes people can say "Well we need to lead the way" but it still will make no practical difference unless the likes of China and the US take drastic action also. I really can't see that, can you?
    I'd add that EVs can help but the danger here is that people seem to be thinking that's most of what we need to do when it's frankly a small issue vs the much bigger ones of shipping flying, even meat production. We're focused too much on a smallish issue.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes agree Clive.

Take a look at this graph of CO2 emissions 1970-2018, we are not even in the running and emissions have dropped in the EU overall-

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes agree Clive.

Take a look at this graph of CO2 emissions 1970-2018, we are not even in the running and emissions have dropped in the EU overall-

A very interesting graph. What is the source?

Note however, that from the graph the CO2 emission due to China is matched approximately by "Other countries". It is interesting that India, which has a population not too much smaller than China, has relatively low CO2 emissions. Of course this could be that many Indians are relatively poorer than many Chinese, and the rise of the Chinese middle classes who are undoubtedly becoming significant consumers, does not help - even though a very significant proportion of Chinese people still live in very substandard conditions at the bottom end of their society.

I have suggested before that the UK could do more good in respect of global emissions by exerting influence on the big CO2 emitters, to help them to become more efficient - without worsening their lives overall, rather than trying to substitute EVs etc. for petrol cars in the UK, which will have relatively little effect.

However, it may still be desirable to move towards EVs in the UK, as they will improve the environment generally, particularly in cities.
    Dave

I'm Clive.

Another interesting one - per head of population

TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I've never seen the point in owning a car if you don't actually LIKE driving. There are plenty of other forms of transport available.

Only someone who never uses any other form of transport would say something like that.

Let's look at the alternatives;

Bus - expensive, slow, unreliable, often doesn't go exactly where you want to go. Only runs between set times.

Train - expensive, not as unreliable as a bus but still not great, almost certainly doesn't go exactly where you want to go, only runs between set times.

Motorbike - dangerous, unpleasant in bad weather.

Bicycle - dangerous, slow, unpleasant in bad weather, you'll need to shower after arriving at your destination.

Walking - Cheap and safe, but very, very slow, unpleasant in bad weather and again you'll need that shower especially if it's a warm day.

Added to which the train and bus will usually contain 'anti-social' types talking continual shite into their mobile phones, eating like pigs, scattering rubbish and unconsumed food around, allowing their awful children to shout, scream, and run around like lunatics, fat people with 'fat people smell', nutters, people who don't seem to realise that you need to wash at least occasionally, and people who find it impossible to sit still for more than 30 seconds.

Hence why almost everyone prefers to travel by car even if they don't enjoy driving.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

+1 ^^^^^^

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast