+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonostage to headphone amp: RCA Y-splitters OR RCA swithbox OR IntAmp pre-out loop?

I'm Daniel.

Default Phonostage to headphone amp: RCA Y-splitters OR RCA swithbox OR IntAmp pre-out loop?

I am getting a new TT (VPI Super Prime Scout with Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC*) and separate phono stage (Vincent PHO 701 with Brimar tube), which has single RCA out. I have an Rotel 1572 Integrated amp, and also a Woo WA6 SE headphone amp, which has two RCA ins.

I certainly have to run TT - Phonostage - Amp to play records via speakers, and also Amp pre-out - Woo for non TT sources.

If I want to listen to TT via headphones, what is better:
    1) TT - Phonostage - Y-splitter cable - Woo
    2) TT - Phonostage - Y-switch box - Woo
    3) TT - Phonostage - Amp aux in - Amp pre out - Woo.

I have a couple of Tributaries Y-splitters sitting around. Looked at better quality, but Audioquest y-splitters look rather cheapo, too. Does that indicated that Y splitters are just a bad idea to begin with?
    What I further do not understand is whether the signal strength gets halved by a Y-splitter, even if only one end is actively used. I listen either with amp and speakers OR with headphone amp and headphones, but not both at the same time. There are also splitter boxes like the Shiit SYS, which should dissipate any volume concerns.

Currently I am leaning towards AB switch box. Thanks for any info/opinions/experiences.

I'm Andre.

Doesnt your amp have a tape out? if so connect your headphone amp to that.

I'm Daniel.

I guess tape out - pre out, and that was my option 3. I wonder whether running the signal through the main amp adds noise. Just occurred to me, not sure whether the amp needs to be on for Aux in - pre out to work. Will have to try that!

I'm Andre.

Headphone units ive always plumbed into Tape output the Rotel amps Volume control will not turn the headphone amp vol up or down. The headphone amp would be totally independent,

I'm Grant.

tape out will come as line level and not be through vc...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Daniel.

The volume control on the Rotel 1572 DOES affect volume in pre-out/headphone amp (that is the label on the RCA outs, there is no "tape out" on the 1572, only a "aux in" and "pre out": see http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/f...-1572-OM_0.pdf page 3 #11 and #13 respectively).
    Or look at picture of RCA in/outs here:
    https://www.themasterswitch.com/site...?itok=gbNPz0_Y

That I know and have tried. It would suggest that turning the Rotel off may also kill the pre-out signal. Still have to try that ...

I'm Andre.

I see your amp does not have a Tape Loop! Do they assume no one uses an analogue tape machine anymore? All i can say is maybe an headphone amp/DAC with USB Woo 'WA-7'!

Looking at the instruction book, can you not de-active the signal to the speakers with those press buttons on the front. I use a splitter from a tape output, splits to my headphone amp via processor, the other feed to a cassette deck input via another processor. If i was using a mixing board i would have Send & Returns hence would not need to do the splitter thang..

Back your situation i find using the pre amp not a good idea..
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 03-02-2020 at 22:05.

I'm Daniel.

I would like to be able to turn the Rotel off when listening to headphones, so that I don't have to fumble awkwardly behind the sub to turn it off and on again each time. The main speakers are easy to turn off via front buttons on the Rotel, but the sub stays on when de-activating the speakers with front buttons. And I am not going to get rid of the WA6 SE, sorry.

"Back your situation i find using the pre amp not a good idea.." I assume you meant pre-out on Rotel (not pre amp = Vincent PHO 701), right? So then we are at AB switch box. The Y-splitters have concerns with the different impedances of various components connected.

I am sure Rotel knows that people still use tape: scotch tape, duct tape, masking tape, ... ;-)

I'm Andre.

I dont know that amp but the Sugden 'A25' i used to listen to headphones with it powered off.

I'm Daniel.

The aux in - pre out only works with the Rotel 1572 powered on.

I noticed the Tisbury mini passive pre-amp, which is a 3 in - 2 out RCA switch. Seems a bit better with stepped attenuator (just in case, instead of the carbon slider pot of the Shiit SYS), and has a tape loop bypassing the volume control entirely. Found one on eBay in the US, should arrive in a few days. According to Tisbury it can be reversed as well. Will do some experiments ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast