+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day dreaming on amp placement

I'm Ian.

Default Day dreaming on amp placement

I am currently running my amps with short interconnects 1m and long speaker cables 8m. John Wood recommended this set up for his amps and i think it worked best then but now i have ncores with a balanced source so running s long xlr cable is an easy option also lets me experiment with speaker cables. Mogami 2549 for the xlr.

The question then is where do i put the amps. My impulse H2 are against the rear wall. The bass horn is downward firing.

In the past i have had amps on the floor (marble plinths) to the sides and rear. Toying with a pair of subs adjacent to each. Wondering about some isolation and putting the amps on top of the subs

Any where they go there will be vibration but this might be better than the long speaker leads

Doubt if there is a difinitive answer othet than suck it and see
    Last edited by Mr.Ian; 02-02-2020 at 18:50.

I'm Ian.

Not one response, despite the forum being short on new chat. The moral here being dont day dream in public...

I'm Grant.

I've got mine on top of speakers. Works fine. Im not sure why a ss amp wouldn't tbh. I've tried them in other positions and found no difference tbh, when using short speaker cable. I prefer this to longer runs of cable on speakers
    I
    Last edited by struth; 04-02-2020 at 10:57.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andre.

I always put the amp between the speakers, cos im a skin flint when it comes to cable lol.. I just put it anywhere on anything, makes no difference to the sound imho..

I'm Martin.

Even SS amps you want to take care to decouple them from vibrations and surely you can do better than putting them on top of subwoofers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andre.

If an amps make properly vibration wont happen

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    If an amps make properly vibration wont happen

I would imagine that they can be engineered to dampen vibrations but that will remove only a fraction of the vibration that they are being subjected to.

Ive got the benefit of concrete floors here and yet Ive still heard a surprising improvement in SQ by paying very close attention to vibrations with solid state gear too. Got some black ravioli and also using fo.q tapes. You dont need to spend a fortune , i started off with a wheel barrow tyre inner tube under a chopping board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andre.

I always say if equipment is so susceptable to tiny things like vibration it needs dumping in the nearest canal. Joking aside mate how flaming loud do you actually have you stereo up for any good quality amp to pick up enough vibration to alter the sound!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If the amp is a two channel amplifier, then you have no real option other than to position the amp midway between the two speakers. I assume the amplifier uses valves, so microphony could well be a problem.

I would try to place the amplifer behind a line joining the front of the two speakers.
    Barry

I'm Ian.

monoblock ncores, got some more Mogami 2549 (brilliant service as always from Giraffe Audio) just waiting on the Neutriks ot arrive now then I will make up some cables and give it a try. I am leaning towards sand trays with a wooden top or maybe marble, with the amps resting on on top. Solid floor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast