+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day dreaming on amp placement

I'm Ian.

to be honest I am not expecting to hear the blind bit of difference but it will allow me to play about with speaker cables, even I could find some AudioNote yellow what ever the actual letter code is I could even try tri-wiring and matching the external speaker cable to the internal wiring, Then again I have a short pair of Deltec Black Slink 16 lying around.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Even SS amps you want to take care to decouple them from vibrations and surely you can do better than putting them on top of subwoofers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    How do the solid state amps inside the subwoofers cope with the vibration? It's surprising they work at all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Yes but the sub amps only deal with bass, so any vibration isn't going to affect the image/air/space quality aspect.

Heavier parts tend to be glued down on the sub amp pcb's.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    monoblock ncores, got some more Mogami 2549 (brilliant service as always from Giraffe Audio) just waiting on the Neutriks ot arrive now then I will make up some cables and give it a try. I am leaning towards sand trays with a wooden top or maybe marble, with the amps resting on on top. Solid floor.
    Sorry - I failed to notice in your OP that your amplifiers are monoblock units, with balanced inputs. Since you say your source also has a balanced output, then your situation is very similar to mine.

I place my monoblock amps as close to the speaker as possible (in my case directly behind each speaker), so as to use the shortest length of speaker cable(s) possible. I then run 15m balanced-line cables back to the preamp. These run under the floor, so I don't have unsightly cables running around the room.
    Barry

I'm Ian.

I have the amps next to the speakers now and I must say I dont think it has made the slightest bit of difference other than it looks pants and is a pain for powering on and off. think I may revert back to the long speaker cables this week

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    I have the amps next to the speakers now and I must say I dont think it has made the slightest bit of difference other than it looks pants and is a pain for powering on and off. think I may revert back to the long speaker cables this week
    Can take a few days for everything to settle in when you move equipment around I find, before you see if there s any improvement or not ?. I must say placing amps, cd etc on Ikea boards works a treat for me.

I'm Ian.

After 40+ years of being a non believer i am now a convert. A convert to cables can change the sound. After my short lived experiment with short speaker cables i went back to the original set up and substituted canare 4s11 for the belden 5000up the slightly thicker canare cable is definitely giving a warmer sound with more bass. Swapped back and fore several times now a very clear difference.

I'm Ian.

Actually i would go as far as to say PRAT is better too, more foot tapping. I am to say the least gob smacked.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Precisely why I use the shortest speaker cables I can manage.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12