+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Found a solution to Raspberry Pi and foobar2000 integration

I'm Dawson.

Default Found a solution to Raspberry Pi and foobar2000 integration

For years I have used foobar2000 as my digital audio player of choice... It has some great DSP plugins, media library functionality and features (particularly when combined with foobarcon pro android app). Best in class IMO, and whilst my interest in Linux / Raspberry Pi has been growing over the years I've not found an ARM based audio player that compares. I've always kept a small windows based PC near the stereo to accommodate for this, but it's a little noisy and not very neat.

I tried Volumio and it works fine, but foobar2000 remains my preference of choice for a variety of reasons. It's not linux compatible however but I've found a way to "stream" playback via UPnP to native Raspbian O/S. This allows you to retain the Pi's innate functionality (e.g I can still use it browse to BBC sounds and play radio 6 via Chromium). Whilst also background listening for foobar's audio broadcasts from another device. So, I can have foobar200 running / "serving" from another part of the house on say a noisy desktop or laptop device, and the output comes through to a tiny Raspberry Pi 4 on the hifi rack. The broadcast's bit depth and sample rates and dictated within foobar's config, and all DSP functions are applied. It transcodes the audio to stream, but set to FLAC it's a lossless process. It takes a bit of delving into mpd to ensure that linux is not resampling the incoming stream, but from what I can tell it's outputting without alteration.

It's surprisingly stable over a decent LAN, and combined with an XMOS xu208 USB > SPDIF convertor gives me a fanless energy efficient transport for a very low cost.

If this pricks anyone's interest post below and I'll provide a few how-to instructions.

I'm Rob.

Good stuff. Well done.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Dawson.

Cheers Rob. It took a bit of faff but now it's figured out it doesn't take long.

As long as you comfortable with terminal CLI and text based config it's straightforward enough.

Still for your TD512s? I saw a set of TD712s for sale recently, in retrospect I should of dropped you a PM mate!

Hope all is well

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

It is very satisfying when a bit of faff leads to a successful result.

Yes - still with the TD512s. Still thoroughly enjoying them. I saw some 712s on ebay a couple of weeks ago - a little too expensive for me at the time. To be honest, my focus is elsewhere at the moment. More with my digital sources.
    Rob.