+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics EPC-305MC

I'm Kevin.

Default Technics EPC-305MC

Is it worth taking a €350 gamble to buy an EPC-305MC with the potential issues if the TTDD collapsing?

Bearing in mind I already have a 310MC that works very well.

Just how much better was the 305?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

Does anybody have previous experience of the 305MC?
    If so, how do you think it would compare with modern day MC cartridges?
    Kevin

I'm Ati.

Hi, I just bought an 300MC which does not have the TTDD and its still in good shape. I haven't got time to test longer yet as I bought more cartridges same time, but sounds OK. However I think you are missing the point of the TTDD. These suspensions are temperature independent. Between +5 and +50 Celsius they will deliver the same performance and because of the sophisticated suspension system and material, they are not so sensitive for ageing like other vintage cartridges. They last longer if you will. How I know? I had two (still have one) EPC 205CMK3 with the TTDD damping system. I had a NOS and and a used one. Both performed same (note: NOS had the breaking period of course). Any Technics cart with the TTDD damping system is unbeatable by price/value/sound ratio not to mention innovation and used materials.

To be honest, since I have realized how good and reliable these Vintage Japanese cartridges, I am buying them with not even considering new cartridges like Excel-HANA, Ortofon and other expensive carts.

Vintage top of the range MM and MC carts have more exotic and sophisticated materials and disentanglement for less money than these new hyped lower and mid range cartridges for lots of money. The Hana has a cheap and chunky aluminium cantilever for the price of £995??? I am sure it still sound good, however I feel that they were sparing on materials to make hughe profit. They do not have to put exotic cantilever on it. Because they know there is only a few cartridge maker and rivals left on the market. People will buy it anyway.
    My AT 37E is full of exotic stuff like only 7 winds of PCOCC wire of the coil, Ruby cantilever, extremely rigid body for the price of £200. Got no issue with suspension at all.
    Or Sony's XL-55, XL-55mk2 and the XL-55 PRO. I had the XL-55 PRO, and it has a core less coil (just like Technics MC carts) and carbon clad cantilever for the price £200 from Japan. No issue with suspension. Just sounded pure!

I think cartridge maker companies these days - with few exception - are not giving us the best value for the money they are asking for those carts.

I have purchased around 30-35 Japanese vintage carts so far, only one had issue with suspension. It was a Coral MC-88. Still worked but could have hear by anyone there is something wrong.
    So, basically and generally I have good experience with suspensions on vintage carts.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the reply.
    I have several Technics cartridges, and have had a few more in the search for a good one.
    The U205 and a 310MC I currently own have no issues with the suspension. I have bought a few 205s in the past where the susspension collapsed. I also know someone who has had a couple of 305MC, one NOS and the other not, where the suspension collapsed on both.

It is a known issue, and very expensive to repair.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread