+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting improvement of the Denon DL-103 sound

I'm Alex.

Question Interesting improvement of the Denon DL-103 sound

As some of you may know, I am a life-long addict to Denon DL-103. I've tried other cartridges, nothing hits the spot like the good old 103 workhorse.

Last week a brand new DL-103 arrived together with some spacers. I was curious to hear how will spacers affect the sound (if at all). So I installed the new 103 using a fairly hefty spacer, set VTF to 2.57 grams (approximately) and sat down for a listen.

First impressions -- definitely more details (I'm hearing things I've never heard before), but the sound is way too stiff! And somehow metallic.

Hmm, not sure I'm ready for that tradeoff. I love DL-103 first and foremost for the *tone*. Details can take the back seat, so long as you give me oodles of that magic Denon *tone*!

But, remembering the received wisdom, I've decided to let the cart break-in. I was expecting that things won't improve before I start approaching the 30 hours watermark.

Lo & behold, it took less than 4 - 5 hours and the thing opened up! The stiffness disappeared, the metallic overtone got replaced by lush, thick, dense sound.

I'm now past 15 hours (I think approaching 20 hours) watermark, and my god, this cart sings! I've never heard such sweet sounds. I can now say, for the first time in my life, that my hi fi system sounds SONOROUS. It bowls you over with the sound. The sound is big, bold, but at the same time, soft, warm, dense, hefty, resembling cascades of melted chocolate/hot lava. The bass is -- oh my god -- going deeper than before. The improved details are not speared by this hot bubbling chocolate lava.

Listening to the strings on Bach's Branderburg Concertos, the sound of the wood is so overwhelming. It feels so realistic. Last night I listened to Carol King's Tapestry, and the sound was so dense, so warm and pliable, that it felt like I could touch it (especially the bass and the piano).

So what's going on there? Is it really all down to this lowly spacer? Is Denon DL-103 really so hungry for high effective tonearm mass? I'm using Jelco SA-750E 10" tonearm, which I though has already sufficiently high effective mass?

Anyone else had such positive impressions after installing a spacer on Denon DL-103?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Carl.

What does the spacer+cart+headshell weigh? Are you using a standard counterweight?

I'm William.

Not sure from the above how or where the spacer is positioned, but a long time ago I was advised to insert a headshell washer between the body of the cartridge by using the cartridge bolts and the place one in the middle of the cartridge body at the rear to stop it tipping up.

So the bolt goes through the headshell then a washer then the cartridge. The additional weight is minimal.

I use my cartridge like this today AT 0C9/iii and very happy with the way it sounds. The washers just provide that little of isolation from the headshell. If you have to buy the washers it costs very little, if you have them of course ( I used PTFE as that is what I had available but I suspect nylon would do the same job) it costs nothing. Best of all if you don’t like the effect it is easy reversible.
    Hope this helps

Regards

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Assuming it’s a head shell weight, the 103 very much likes this, lots of info on this forum if you do a search.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy View Post
    What does the spacer+cart+headshell weigh? Are you using a standard counterweight?
    Not sure what is the total weight. I am using the standard counterweight.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Assuming it’s a head shell weight, the 103 very much likes this, lots of info on this forum if you do a search.
    It is a spacer that you place between the headshell and the cartridge. It adds mass/weight to the cart/headshell/tonearm combo. I had no idea that it could affect the sound in such order of magnitude.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread