+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Field coil DC power supply help

I'm James.

And does that field coil hummmmm?

Still not convinced field coils will sound their best heavily damped or under-damped, but what do I know

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

I modeled an RCRC and with available bits it had under 1mV ripple at 300mA. I presumed this would be adequate as a starting point, the speakers aren't that sensitive (if memory serves me - unlikely)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    And does that field coil hummmmm?
    Well there is some hum, but this is a wartime radio probably built some 75 or more years ago. And how would one tell if the hum was from the field coil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Now that is a very good question!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    Well there is some hum, but this is a wartime radio probably built some 75 or more years ago. And how would one tell if the hum was from the field coil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Disconnect the connections to the driver coil?
    Barry

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Disconnect the connections to the driver coil?
    Depends where the hum can be heard coming from. If it comes from the cone then disconnecting the voice coil will kill it anyway, switch off the field coil and see if that kills it,
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm James.

I presume if it is ripple in the field coil circuit you might leave that energised but short out the voicecoil? That would show any hum, but some precautions necessary in some equipment of course!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    I presume if it is ripple in the field coil circuit you might leave that energised but short out the voicecoil? That would show any hum, but some precautions necessary in some equipment of course!

Agreed - disconnect the audio connections to the driver coil and terminate them with, say, 10 Ohms (assuming the radio is valved and uses an output transformer). Then short out the speaker driver coil, or terminate it with, say, 1 Ohm.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The DC supply must be very well smoothed, otherwise any 50 or 100Hz component will beat with the bass frequencies leading to low level intermodulation distortion.
    I agree with this. A valve based power supply just sounds better than solid state (to me) but has associated hum issues. This hum can be sat on at the expense of overall sound quality. This is why I have not progressed down this route.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm James.

For others coming down this route I have a suggestion. The PSU is a doddle, hum is not a major issue in anything working adequately on PSUdesigner.

I have found the impedance of the power supply to be rather more important, if you use 1-3 ohm impedance the sound falls into place, this with the silver Aero 8 only since I have tried no other models.

Sounds rather fine actually

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast