+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studio Monitor Speakers

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    What an annoying egotistical twat.
    He must be the most important unboxer in Britain. Who’d have thought, when we only had two TV channels, that one day in the future we would be watching someone taking something out of a box.

I'm Michael.

Default Kali IN - 8 3 Way Studio Monitors

I thought these were quite interesting. A 3 way rather than the usual 2. A little more bass from the dedicated driver and will maybe work better in the far field. Product of the USA but are available over here. Not too expensive either.
    Have a look. https://www.kaliaudio.com/independence

May get a pair myself later this year.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarvanyar View Post
    Am I right I thinking you lose out on the mid range but gain in the base with an 8” driver?
    Thanks
    Sometimes but depends on the rest of the speaker: the qualities of the main driver and the tweeter, the crossover, the cab design. A two way cone and dome speaker is always going to be compromised compared to a good three-way.

I think you'll need subwoofery with most of these little speakers though, none of the ones I've seen measured have any bass below 100Hz.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andre.

Near field monitor are suppose to be use close in your face. The reason for that is you can hear more of the loudspeaker signal without the room intervening. Deep bass is not of real importance as long as you have a good idea of the signal you are monitoring. Look at a good studio you will notice Near field monitors sat directly in front of the engineer, bigger Monitor positioned further back..

I'm Dennis.

What’s the view on 6” or 8” driver? Which one would be best in a two way speaker?
    The only 8” speaker I had was a Monitor Audio RS but it didn’t really work in my room and I have moved now.
    Am I right I thinking you lose out on the mid range but gain in the base with an 8” driver?
    Thanks
    The universal problem with two ways is the mid/woofer's ability to deal with its two extremes; being big enough to deliver low bass and O/P power, and to be able to go high enough without serious break-up.
    The speaker designers problem is dealing with these extremes. Smaller, probably a better integration with the tweeter, but not so good at the bass and power O/P, larger, and not so good at the Xover point and integration.

I'm Andre.

You can have it all ways with speakers.

I'm Dennis.

??

I'm steve.

Default Studio Monitor Speakers

About 4 years ago I had a pair of Yamaha HS5s that I used in my second string system in the bedroom. I used it in conjunction with a Firestone Mass remote control preamp. The sound quality was pretty decent for an active speaker pair for under £250, only slight criticism I had was that it was a little midrange prominent, it’s actually shown up as a hump centred on 1khz that is quite clear on Yamaha’s own FR plot. As my music source was iTunes I just applied about 3dbs of cut at 1khz with the iTunes equaliser which got the balance dead right to my ears. I must admit that I had a hankering to try the HS7s which lose the mid hump and go deeper in the bass but alas my setup went in a different direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Rick.

I've used a pair of passive Tannoy Reveals like this with some success. They're a bit muddy in the low midrange and perhaps lack a bit of definition at the top end, but you get used to it surprisingly quickly. It makes mixing on them much easier if you're used to listening to finished, mastered albums through them.

A lot will depend on the amp you use to drive them. If you want to use active monitors you may still need something in the signal chain to control the volume - there may not be any controls on the speakers themselves... My limited experience of passive nearfield monitors is that they're fine with a potent amplifier and much less effective if the signal is weaker.

I'm Pavel.

What’s the view on 6” or 8” driver? Which one would be best in a two way speaker?
    The only 8” speaker I had was a Monitor Audio RS but it didn’t really work in my room and I have moved now.
    Thanks
    At least for the JBLs, the 8-inch model is considered to be inferior. But it's just very sloppily constructed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12