+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't CD players/transports have USB out?

I'm Matthew.

There's a bit of a clue in the name.

USB= Universal Serial Bus. The serial bus of a computer. As you have found, CD players tend not to have USB. Primarily that's because they don't have any computing power or operating system.

If you want to play a CD into a USB only DAC you need a computer of some sort,running playback software plus a USB DVD drive (20ish).
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

I'm Andre.

Everything is geared around computers these days. Computer based stuff is not really intended for the serious Audio market, its just that Audiophiles are trying to make it so, i for one would be glad to see the back of CD! However USB was not intended for Audio, i personally cringe when i see USB ports on Hi-Fi Equipment.

The Recording industry is rife with USB on equipment as they are generally used instead of the old MIDI. which was a Digital interface that passed Data from one piece of equipment to others, triggering etc.. Nowadays gone are the need for big Analogue multi-tracking machine & giant soundboards, everything is done on DAW software, the vintage ways of connecting equipment by CV/Gate are becoming popular again, the recording side wont.

I use two system

1. In the living room which is totally vintage Turntable & Cassette Deck [That never gets used much]
    2. In the spare room which is a Lossless files computer based system that is also part of a small home Synthesizer Studio im gradually building

I Don't like mixing & matching Vintage & Modern Hi-Fi equipment as i dont like Digital Vinyl records

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
    USB= Universal Serial Bus. The serial bus of a computer. As you have found, CD players tend not to have USB.
    I currently use an external DVD drive to connect into my Melco via USB without a computer between the two.

My understanding is that most modern CD drives mechanisms were originally created to fit into computers.

USB is just a communication protocol. It does not need a computer to send data over a bus.

I can't believe it is that difficult to take the data being generated by a CD drive, and send it out over a USB bus. If you can do it in a £15 external DVD drive, why not an audio CD player.
    Rob.