+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of 21 different MC cartridges

I'm malcolm.

Listened using LG V20 phone with hifi quad dac running using KZ AS10 IEMs.

Three sttod out for me:

Supex 900
    Ortofon MC20s
    Asaka

Probably in that order, they had more 'presence' ie noticed greater harmonics, and sounstage was larger.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Matt.

No way of listening via anything other than crappy device speakers, so I'm probably not going to be hearing much between them.

I'm surprised much comes across via a YT recording anyway, is it not all reliant on the recording equipment and YTs audio compression?

I'm loheswaran.

I am told that the FR1 is a unique cartridge and well worth finding - that said I can't bring myself round to buying a 30 year second hand cartridge for the price of a new MC

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    No way of listening via anything other than crappy device speakers, so I'm probably not going to be hearing much between them.

I'm surprised much comes across via a YT recording anyway, is it not all reliant on the recording equipment and YTs audio compression?
    Yes of course, but all the cartridges have been subjected to the same limitations, and therefore a level playing field. Regardless of the compression, you should still be able to hear clear sonic differences, especially through headphones. Others and I certainly can, as indeed we've outlined

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loheswaran View Post
    I am told that the FR1 is a unique cartridge and well worth finding - that said I can't bring myself round to buying a 30 year second hand cartridge for the price of a new MC
    Indeed, although it didn't stop me once from buying a NOS/NIB original Ortofon SPU-G/T, from 1958 (for £800), which was in mint condition, played beautifully, and sounded glorious

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Patrick.

Ortofon MC20 Super (the first one)
    Supex SDX-1100B
    Denon DL-103M
    Asaka

Seemed the best balanced to me. The drums and cymbals have to sound right, and I need to be able to follow the bass line. I thought these made a decent job of separating the various elements too.

Similar tastes to me, Patrick, although you were only supposed to name your favourite 3

Interestingly, I preferred the second Ortofon - sounded 'punchier'.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

Denon 103 EPS46STQD shibata
    I could hear the bass line clearly and it had weight, initial symbol sounded natural, just sounded musical got me foot tapping

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Similar tastes to me, Patrick, although you were only supposed to name your favourite 3
    Yeah but we heard the whole track with the Asaka, and it made a decent fist of it so it was hard to leave out.

I had a Troika once, which I enjoyed.

I also liked the Asaka, but it was on completely the wrong arm. For me, there are only two arms on which to mount a Linn cartridge: Linn's own (and with an Asaka I'd want an Ittok), or a Naim Aro.

I've owned/heard most of Linn's 'classic' cartridges, and enjoyed them all, particularly the Karma and Arkiv (the Trak was rather fun, too). Apparently the earlier ones were Supex-based, which would explain a lot in terms of their sound, although I'm unsure of that. Perhaps Dave, or someone else 'in the know' could confirm or deny?

Therefore, although I enjoyed the Asaka, I knew it was at a distinct disadvantage, in comparison with the other cartridges demonstrated, which would've been happier in that Jap detachable-headshell arm, and so my choices reflected that

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast