+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comparison of 21 different MC cartridges

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I also liked the Asaka, but it was on completely the wrong arm. For me, there are only two arms on which to mount a Linn cartridge: Linn's own (and with an Asaka I'd want an Ittok), or a Naim Aro.

I've owned/heard most of Linn's 'classic' cartridges, and enjoyed them all, particularly the Karma and Arkiv (the Trak was rather fun, too). Apparently the earlier ones were Supex-based, which would explain a lot in terms of their sound, although I'm unsure of that. Perhaps Dave, or someone else 'in the know' could confirm or deny?

Therefore, although I enjoyed the Asaka, I knew it was at a distinct disadvantage, in comparison with the other cartridges demonstrated, which would've been happier in that Jap detachable-headshell arm, and so my choices reflected that

Marco.
    I used to own a Linn Asak. The origin of which is hard to find, but I think they were made for Linn by Osawa on an OEM basis. The connection to Supex is uncertain, though they may have had a part in the design. Any connection to the late Sugano san is even more tenuous.

Sold the Asak on as everyone much preferred the EMT XSD15 which was my then prime cartridge.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...6813-Linn-Asak
    Last edited by Barry; 30-01-2020 at 10:56. Reason: addition
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I think they were made by Osawa, as I had a range of Osawa cartridges with a form very similar to the Asak and Asaka but with standard pins. They were very good and far better priced than the Linn offerings.

I'm Pavel.

For me, the most interesting thing was the difference between stock DL103 and various retipped versions. This kinda confirms my suspicion that Denon's excellent generator is held back by its stylus.

Also: his SL-1200 has a warped platter!

I'm Matt.

Struggled to pick any of them to be honest, a lot of Shibata tips there. None of them stood out, aside from the not very good sounding mono carts obviously.

I don't think the choice of music did much for choosing a favourite, at least for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123