+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of 21 different MC cartridges

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool Comparison of 21 different MC cartridges

Just a bit of fun, and allowing for the limitations of YT, can you identify your favourites and list your top three in order of preference, then explain why:

Mine are:

1 - Supex SDX-1100B.

2 - Denon DL-103M.

3 - Pioneer 3MC.

Part of the interesting thing with this test is finding out how you listen to music: do you focus on the bass line, and how deep and 'funky'/groovy it sounds (count me in), or on the high hats and other instrumentation at the top end, or how 'sparkly' the overall sound is?

For me, it's mainly about the tunefulness of the bass and how rhythmic and punchy it sounds, in terms of successfully 'driving' the music along and making it 'fun'.

Everything else is secondary, and my choices reflect that, but also, IMO, get the rest right without too much of a compromise. For me, the best vintage cartridges get it most right, musically, although I'd have preferred to have heard them in stock form, unmodified.

Anyway, what do you think?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Don't all comment at once, lol!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Well, that WAS informative. I really DO need a hearing aid ! A lot of those cart's were adapted/refurbished in some way, and I'm surprised that this 'survey' wasn't done with standard cart's. Of the 'variations upon a theme' cart's (Denon, e.g.), I didn't detect much difference, esp. in the bass and to be honest, they were all very similar at that frequency. Where the differences came was in the mid frequencies, with more delicate and delineated notes. Not sure why/how these coils had other makes of cantilever or tip as they're not user-replaceable.

I have to say, though, that whereas I thought the Denons were generally as good or better overall, it's the Linn Asaka that concludes the survey which I would choose. I did have a Karma in the eighties, though, so maybe my rose tinted hearing is biassed.

I have to admit that I listened on very old Senn, HD 450s without cushions. It should have been my cheap but modern Grados which my wife pinched. If I can find an adapter, I'll press my Elears or HD650s into service for a re-run.

Now how about a similar experiment with upper Koetsu, Lyra, Miyajima, Benz and Ortofon etc.? That would be music to my (failing) ears.

I'm Dave.

Why did the Asaka play for such a long time, compared to the others ?

I'm guessing because he wanted to play the full track with the last cartridge, or he's just a Linny!

Which were your favourites?

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Well, that WAS informative. I really DO need a hearing aid ! A lot of those cart's were adapted/refurbished in some way, and I'm surprised that this 'survey' wasn't done with standard cart's. Of the 'variations upon a theme' cart's (Denon, e.g.), I didn't detect much difference, esp. in the bass and to be honest, they were all very similar at that frequency. Where the differences came was in the mid frequencies, with more delicate and delineated notes. Not sure why/how these coils had other makes of cantilever or tip as they're not user-replaceable.

I have to say, though, that whereas I thought the Denons were generally as good or better overall, it's the Linn Asaka that concludes the survey which I would choose. I did have a Karma in the eighties, though, so maybe my rose tinted hearing is biassed.

I have to admit that I listened on very old Senn, HD 450s without cushions. It should have been my cheap but modern Grados which my wife pinched. If I can find an adapter, I'll press my Elears or HD650s into service for a re-run.

Now how about a similar experiment with upper Koetsu, Lyra, Miyajima, Benz and Ortofon etc.? That would be music to my (failing) ears.
    Maybe that was because you heard more of it (and the music), as Dave's just pointed out? Easy for that to bias the result

Interesting how you listen though, which is pretty much the opposite from me..... On that track, it's all about da bass, and to my ears, how the likes of either Supex or the Pioneer handled the bass line, compared with, say either of the ATs, was very marked! With the ATs doing their usual 'trick' of emasculating it!

I'm not a fan of stock 103s, fitted with 'posh' tips and/or cantilevers, as for me it makes them sound somewhat 'etched' and hi-fi like, at the expense of the 'boogie factor' that they're renowned for. In that respect, both the Supex (including the 900), and indeed the Asaka, showed it a clean pair of heels, with the Denon 103M demonstrating what a 'properly tweaked' 103 should sound like

The other thing that stood out to me like a sore thumb was how differently the older Ortofon MCs were voiced, compared with their modern counterparts, and crucially, how things definitely haven't improved!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Knowing the Asaka from back in the day, when I was a Linn dealer, it wouldn't be my choice. Other than that, I'm not sure which I prefer. They all sounded different but as to a preference, I really couldn't say.

I used to love the Supex 900, way back then and the original Koetsu based on it. I have both somewhere in my cupboards.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The Denon DL-102 doesn’t sound very good!
    I don't believe there was a DL-102 shown, Mark. He mentions something about a '103 mono', which to my knowledge doesn't exist. Denon's dedicated mono cartridge is the DL-102, which is rather distinctive looking in its 'silver can' shell:

It's actually a very good sounding mono cartridge, if you have reason to use such a beast

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Knowing the Asaka from back in the day, when I was a Linn dealer, it wouldn't be my choice. Other than that, I'm not sure which I prefer. They all sounded different but as to a preference, I really couldn't say.

I used to love the Supex 900, way back then and the original Koetsu based on it. I have both somewhere in my cupboards.
    Agreed on the Supex 900. One of my all-time favs, as I love how it handles bass-lines! Do you have any experience of the Supex SDX-1100B shown? For me, that produced the addictive 'elastic bass' of the 900, but with added clarity and 'presence' through the midrange and upper frequencies.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

No, not familiar with the 1100B, just the 900 and 901. We sold bucket loads in the good ol' days.

I used to love the Fidelity Research cartridges, the FR1 Mk3 and FR2 (IIRC). Those we sold in preference to the Linn cartridges - much more informative and lively. Those in the
    FR-64S arm were our go-to choice.

Another of my faves are/were the Jeweltone Ribbon cartridges. Talk about 'fast'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast