+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server/streamer advice

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the responses folks.
    I think you're right eatapeach, the Cambridge is really good .... I guess I've developed ' the grass is greener...' Problem.
    Thanks for the virgin hub info Mr Ian. Well worth knowing for the future.
    Apologies for what is probably a dumb question..
    Do all NAS drives require a USB connection or can they work off Ethernet?

I'm Ian.

Connect via lan ethernet cable

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    I think you're right eatapeach, the Cambridge is really good .... I guess I've developed ' the grass is greener...' Problem.
    NAS is a three letter acronym for Network Attached Storage. It is generally used to refer to any drive which is not directly attached to a computer but is accessed by a network. Generally, if you are a home user or small business, this will be via Ethernet. USB drives are by their very connection 'local' storage attached to a computer of some kind, although an exception to this would be to attach via USB to a router which has a USB port for such purposes (e.g. a BT Homehub or a Draytek Vigor). In such a case, the USB connection effectively puts the drive 'onto' the network and it can act as Network Attached Storage.

In general use, USB equals local and NAS equals Networked.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    They can be either. I use a Drobo, not the cheapest solution but there are plenty secondhand on ebay. Good thing with these is that they automatically back up the data stored on them between the hard drives, so you can lose a drive or even two without losing anything, just replace the drive and off you go. As with many NAS, the fan can be a bit noisy if you have it in the same room - I replaced the fan in mine with a Noctua silent fan, it's as quiet as a quiet thing now. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12