+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Decent Ethernet cable

I'm Andre.

Dunno only bought it to link the TV to the Modem..

I'm Vince.

Default Ethernet cable

The best pound per performance cable I've tried, and I've tried a few is Supra. They are soldered to the plugs, by hand and even have the workers name on a tag to tell you who did it. Myself and a couple of pals found it to be superior to the chord by quite a margin. I had a length of a quite expensive Ethernet cable and the Supra was better. More musical, times better, etc. It's quite cheap for level of performance it gives you.
    I've put my money where my mouth is and every Ethernet connection is now Supra.
    Try it, I think you'll like it.
    Cheers

I'm Neal.

Soldered? Unlikely the data pairs are, it’s not possible on the RJ45 Supra use unless they mean the shield drain wire. The RJ45s used are crimped.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Steve.

I use a MeiCord Opal ethernet cable between my router and Melco N1ZH60.2 or dCS Vivaldi Upsampler, if I'm streaming Tidal HiFi or listening to internet radio stations!

If I'm watching TV, then I plug it into my LG OLED, so I get multiple use from the one cable!

The sound quality is better than a couple of other generic CAT6/7 ethernet cables I have tried, and picture quality is also improved when watching channels streamed from the imbedded TV apps!
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Lawrence.

Just realised I've got to throw something else into the equation - the position of the Hifi and router mean that I'd need a 15m cable at least to route round the walls etc so I've been using Powerline adaptors. They weren't an issue when I was just using it to control which music I played off the HDD but I suspect it's not optimal for streaming.

There's not really any options to shorten to length. Drilling through the internal wall (which I'm not prepared to do) would cut it to about 8m if I routed along walls.

What is the general opinion on streaming through Powerline adaptors?

I'm Grant.

I use a 10 metre Ethernet and its fine. I bought a longer one as well but not used it yet. No issue with that kind of length imo.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Just realised I've got to throw something else into the equation - the position of the Hifi and router mean that I'd need a 15m cable at least to route round the walls etc so I've been using Powerline adaptors. They weren't an issue when I was just using it to control which music I played off the HDD but I suspect it's not optimal for streaming.

There's not really any options to shorten to length. Drilling through the internal wall (which I'm not prepared to do) would cut it to about 8m if I routed along walls.

One thing i wish i had done before re plastering the walls is laid Ethernet all the way around the place with flush wall sockets.

Putting my Router under the TV with short Ethernet was a great improvement over Wi-Fi but using a better cable was a even better inprovement. Im still however having to use Wi-Fi for the tablets & laptops which is shit & im just glad i don't stream music to the system.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    One thing i wish i had done before re plastering the walls is laid Ethernet all the way around the place with flush wall sockets.

Putting my Router under the TV with short Ethernet was a great improvement over Wi-Fi but using a better cable was a even better inprovement. Im still however having to use Wi-Fi for the tablets & laptops which is shit & im just glad i don't stream music to the system.
    I thought/assumed Powerline adaptors were higher bandwidth than WiFi or am I wrong?

I'm Andre.

Tried em but had trouble so never bothered after that..I don't need a connection for the PC i use for files as everything i listen to is taken from my CD's.. I just use a laptop & the wife a Tablet for browsing internet, Forums etc but can slow down at times. Im sure i can put up with that.. I would never ever dream of streaming music from the internet tho..

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Use a cable if you can. The maximum length for cat5 cable is 100m so providing you are not in Buckingham Palace you should be just fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast