+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a replacement for my Rega Apollo CD player

I'm Rob.

Hmmm. Sourcing the Little Dot doesn't seem too easy, but looking uncovered:

SHANLING TEMPO eC1B. Interesting review of a similar player on 6moons, and Audiophonics, who I've bought a lot of streaming bits from, are selling them.

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Hmmm. Sourcing the Little Dot doesn't seem too easy, but looking uncovered:

SHANLING TEMPO eC1B. Interesting review of a similar player on 6moons, and Audiophonics, who I've bought a lot of streaming bits from, are selling them.

Yes I dont think theres a UK seller or European one, it's either China or Hong Kong, Ebay or AliExpress, I've bought via AliExpress with no problems.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Andre.

Cant you use your DVD player with a DAC? They just look like they maybe CD Rom trays

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Cant you use your DVD player with a DAC? They just look like they maybe CD Rom trays
    Hi Andre, I was just coming to a similar conclusion after looking at a discussion on another forum

So, a Sony BDPS3700B Smart Blu-Ray Player might be an option. I can even get one from Argos tomorrow.

Rob.

I'm James.

Hi Andre, I was just coming to a similar conclusion after looking at a discussion on another forum

So, a Sony BDPS3700B Smart Blu-Ray Player might be an option. I can even get one from Argos tomorrow.

Its definitely a cost effective option if you haven't already got a blu ray player, I do like the look of that marantz though
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

I do like the look of the Marantz, but I've just checked the specs and it's too wide for my purposes. So I think it's down to two: The Sony Blu-ray player or a Pro-Ject CD Box DS2 T. I think at the moment, it will all come down to timing. If my Rega CD player hangs on in there for another month, I'll go for the Pro-Ject. If it dies before I can put some money aside for the Pro-ject (or my eye and wallet get drawn somewhere else), then I'll get the Sony.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Rob.

I'm John.

The exposure XM is nice but pricey still second hand.

I'm Andre.

I dont think the next models up are that much more expensive, I know one plays SACD. Youll have to have a quick scan of customer reviews, I dont think you are going to get away from those thin plastic drawers tho..
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 26-01-2020 at 20:41.

I'm Grant.

You can play cds through a separate rom drive into a rpi if of any use..
    Mine sounds OK tbh. Not quite as good as a file but not a lot on it..
    I've a project ds2 phono, and it's nicely made so if they do a cd I'm guessing it will be too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You can play cds through a separate rom drive into a rpi if of any use..
    Mine sounds OK tbh. Not quite as good as a file but not a lot on it..
    I've a project ds2 phono, and it's nicely made so if they do a cd I'm guessing it will be too
    Mmmmm. That made me think a little more laterally. Actually, I can use the USB drive connected to my Melco as a player as a stop gap. So - the Pro-Ject is looking like a more likely endpoint.
    Rob.