+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a replacement for my Rega Apollo CD player

I'm Rob.

Default Suggestions for a replacement for my Rega Apollo CD player

My Rega Apollo is playing up. I've had it repaired once. So that's top of my "what shall I change next" list.

I'd like something with the same form factor (so it can sit on a shelf alongside a half width DAB tuner) - half width top loader would be great. The Pro-ject CD players look like a good option. Either the DS2 T CD Transport, or Box RS CD Player. But the small Teac CD players looking interesting too. For example the PD-301DAB-X CD Player.

Any suggestions ?
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Andre.

All CD players end up 'Playing Up' Utter waste of money they are. I sugest just moving onto a File based front end.

I cannot relax when i play CD's always thinking if this player is going to last much longer.

I'm James.

I'm pretty sure a file based setup is every bit as likely to go tits up. The little dot CD transports look nice, havnt used one though
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Andre.

Well its like this People are always swapping & changing CDP cos they claim they all sound different so when your CD players acts up what you going to do buy another of the same that most probably is not made anymore, or buy a different brand which there are a very narrow choice now of just buy another second hand which will pack up sooner than later.

A Computer is a computer with no sound signature because hopefully you are not not extracting any sound from the soundcard, your DAC or streamer is doing that, your files are on drive, so the PC/Laptop is basically a digital jukebox controller. When that pops its cloggs you go down to your local electrical store & buy another, they all do the same thing. My pooter i play files on is nearly 10 years old & ive only just put a new Hard drive in it with a fresh windows installation, not cos it wanted it but because i wanted a faster SDD.. So much easier. So ten year old PC had outlasted two CD players up to yet..

I'm James.

Marantz HD cd1 looks a nice bit of kit
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I suggest just moving onto a File based front end.
    I've got a Melco N1A/2, and Simaudio Moon 180 Mind. I still like playing CDs.

I'm slightly tempted to go for a Melco D100, but can't feel £1k is worth it for a player that only has a USB out. If it was mainly for ripping with an occasional play, perhaps. But that's not what I want, and a cheap USB CD drive seems to work fine for ripping via the Melco.

I'd add that I do sympathise with the statement about the fragility of CD players. That's why I don't to spend an awful lot of money on a new player.
    Rob.