+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My system 300b and fostex

I'm Graham.

Default My system 300b and fostex

Hi, new boy here.
    Promise to keep this short. Will add some pics later.
    So, I have the following, some of it quite new.
    Wilmslow audio labyrinth cabinets with fostex 208ez drivers and a super tweeter on top.
    A Chinese valve amp, but only its skin. It's been heavily modified (will find blog link) and has some rather nice valves, kr 300bs for a start.
    I have a homemade turntable with a sumiko premier mmt arm, and a benz ace mc cart and a AT 0c9 III as well.
    I have a modded Phillips cd104 player from the 80s.
    A avi s2000 cd player with the old school twin box dpa dac from the 90s
    I have the michell iso hr phono stage
    Michell argo pre and Croft 5c valve amp (Its the one that firebottle modded on here)
    Various homemade silver cables, and some studio connections speaker cable and phono leads.
    Think that's it.

Last edited by Grahamstone1977; 26-01-2020 at 17:25.

I'm Glen.

Sounds nice all of that! I used to own an Argo pre, always liked that thing. Another one I shouldn't have sold!! Look forward to the pics..

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    Sounds nice all of that! I used to own an Argo pre, always liked that thing. Another one I shouldn't have sold!! Look forward to the pics..
    Thanks �� pics added.

I'm Rob.

Hi Graham, i'm not sure if it just me seeing this but the pics are all cloudy, probably as a result of them being hosted by Photphucket before they relented, or that their stupidity policy continues. I use Imgur and this provides nice clear pics and they are easily loaded on here.

Some years ago I made a pair of the Fostex suggested back loaded horn cabs for the 208 Sigma, but used the 206E as these worked in that cabinet. They were very good. The build was quite challenging given the number of pieces required for each cab. My local timber yard sourced some Baltic Birch Ply and cut most of the pieces for me. I used them for a few years until I sold them to a guy who used to post on AOS.

Big beasts at 10 stone each!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi Graham, i'm not sure if it just me seeing this but the pics are all cloudy, probably as a result of them being hosted by Photphucket before they relented, or that their stupidity policy continues. I use Imgur and this provides nice clear pics and they are easily loaded on here.

Some years ago I made a pair of the Fostex suggested back loaded horn cabs for the 208 Sigma, but used the 206E as these worked in that cabinet. They were very good. The build was quite challenging given the number of pieces required for each cab. My local timber yard sourced some Baltic Birch Ply and cut most of the pieces for me. I used them for a few years until I sold them to a guy who used to post on AOS.

Big beasts at 10 stone each!
    Ahh, yes blooming photo bucket, will change, cheers.
    Yea I am loving the sound of mine, just want I wanted.

I'm Glen.

[QUOTE=Puffin;1157805I use Imgur and this provides nice clear pics and they are easily loaded on here.[/QUOTE]

+1 for Imgur. Seems to work pretty well..

How would you describe the Fostex speakers sound? I always fancied making some when I have the time and finances. I built some frugal horns a couple of years ago and thought they were astounding for the outlay. I just made them cheaply with mdf and Mark Audio paper drivers I think! I now use Snell E/III’s which I like, but the urge to build is calling!

I'm Rob.

How would you describe the Fostex speakers sound? I always fancied making some when I have the time and finances. I built some frugal horns a couple of years ago and thought they were astounding for the outlay. I just made them cheaply with mdf and Mark Audio paper drivers I think! I now use Snell E/III’s which I like, but the urge to build is calling!
    I expected mine to be a bit shouty as that is what a lot had said about the Lowther/Fostex full range "sound", but I did not find this. I sourced some phase plugs from Planet 10 (very active on DIYaudio) and they seemed to make the whole performance more cohesive. I also had some Lowther PM6Cs but they did not really suit the cabinet and having slaved over the coffins, I was not ready to do it again.

I'm Graham.

Thanks, can't seem to get it to work, will try again in a bit.
    The sound of the fostex I have, well it's my kind of sound, raw organic sound, listening to miles Davies, the trumpet is in your face and real, no falseness. I am actually very surprised with the bass to, much deeper than I expected, but then that's the horn.
    Sorry I am not great at describing sound.

I'm Graham.

How do you get the images on using imgur, all I get is the link details.

I'm Rob.

Hi Graham, If you have uploaded the pics to Imgur, click on a pic and it will enlarge. On the right are a set of boxes, one says "direct", click on it and it will copy it. Go to your post/reply on here and click the "insert image" box and right click and insert the imgur code. That is it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast