+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401 Bearing Recommendations Please

I'm Kim.

Default 401 Bearing Recommendations Please

My lovely Garrard 401 now benefits from a Tenuto platter mat and Mk 1 LDA power supply - the PS in particular produced a positive improvement. I'd like to try a new bearing next and was interested in member's opinions. The previous thread about this didn't seem to reach any conclusions, so not really expecting agreement on "the best", but would be keen to hear member's own experiences.

The Peak HiFi SMD Acoustics bearing is readily available - has anyone had any experierience of fitting one of these?

Martin Bastin's name keeps coming up in relation to Garrards, but I can't find any information - can anyone help?

Anything else I should consider?

Many thanks
    Garrard 401 / EAR / AURALiC / DAC? / Spendor
    Border Patrol / Naim / Harbeth

I'm Keith.

These on Lenco Heaven seem to get good reports but I have no experience of them.

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=25857.0

I'm Andrew.

I've had the SPH bearing, the standard 401 bearing and the modified Martin Bastin 401 bearing (this is the best). You can spend some silly money on bearings which have never been reviewed and I'd avoid the ebay modifications (kokomo).
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Graham.

I have had the exact bearing (avoid), kokomo mk2, sph but not a bastin.

The SPH is good vfm and is a little quieter and spins very freely. It is not a night and day improvement over the stock bearing in good fettle (and i am not sure its delrin bushes will last 50 years!), but I take the view that every little bit helps. In conjunction with the Tenuto mat, LDA PSU, Audiosilente idler, IMO it is significantly better than in stock form.

It has lost non of the Garrard strengths (drive, punchy bass, rhythm and that elusive musicality) but its weaker areas - veiled treble and speed stability - are no longer an issue.

Of course, all these mods are not cheap. but for my musical tastes i cannot think of a deck I would prefer to own regardless of price.

I'm Pete.

Hello Kim

I have neither a PSU upgrade nor an exotic platter mat, however my 401 does have a bearing upgrade. It was organised by the wonderful people at NWA, made by the Jeremy guy originally known for his Lenco bearings under the Redbeard name (there are loads of threads on his bearings over on lencoheaven but you may already know that).

The bearing is aesthetically very pleasing, dare I say luxurious, and undoubtedly well engineered, it certainly looks far more impressive than the currently available SMD bearing or stock bearing.

Sonically, I've never tried to compare it to the well-fettled standard bearing it replaced, so I can't really say whether I'd recommend it or not, sorry, I realise that's not much use to you.

Anyways, I believe NWA stopped supplying this bearing some years ago and developed their own. I think most of their work is focused around carts these days but it may be worth asking.

Good luck with the search!
    Last edited by ost_; 26-01-2020 at 04:57.
    Analogue: Garrard 401 (NWA), NWA slate plinth, Redbeard bearing, SME IV, Dynavector XX-2 MkII, Pathos In The Groove Mk II. Digital: Self built PC, RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card, Mytek 8x192 ADDA & MADI DIO card. Other: Shadow Hills Equinox, ATC SCM50ASL Pro, Towersonic TS-1B, Analysis Plus Power Oval & XLR ic, Sine SRT-3KV, Sine SA-6, Sine Royal 2S

I'm Geoff.

Personally, I would stick with the stock bearing and invest in more music or developing your system elsewhere.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Personally, I would stick with the stock bearing and invest in more music or developing your system elsewhere.
    Totally agree wise words Oldius!
    Analogue: Garrard 401 (NWA), NWA slate plinth, Redbeard bearing, SME IV, Dynavector XX-2 MkII, Pathos In The Groove Mk II. Digital: Self built PC, RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card, Mytek 8x192 ADDA & MADI DIO card. Other: Shadow Hills Equinox, ATC SCM50ASL Pro, Towersonic TS-1B, Analysis Plus Power Oval & XLR ic, Sine SRT-3KV, Sine SA-6, Sine Royal 2S

I'm Kim.

Many thanks for all the comments.

Oldius - I really am thinking about your suggestion Geoff and I know it probably makes more financial sense, but the urge to tinker is strong! Money towards the cartridge upgrade perhaps...
    ost_ - I have read about the NWA bearing, but as you say, heard it was no longer available. I will ask
    Rexton - Thanks Andrew, but I still can't find any information for Martin Bastin - how do I find out about his bearing?

I'm Michael.

Martin Bastin can be contacted at 01584 823446. My 401’s bearing was supplied by Martin as part of a full service. You will have to send the 401 to him.
    He can also supply a replacement idler.

I'm Kim.

That’s helpful - thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast