+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonos useless

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    An alternative is to buy devices that use open source software which have large support networks. LMS/Squeezebox seem to fit in that category for now at least.
    And to understand the differences in open source vs free Software - that everyone should aspire to https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-...-point.en.html

I'm Mike.

Sonos put out 8 software updates in 2019.

Still think that Legacy Sonos box will work in a couple of years

An update done in October also upped the app requirements from...

This:

Android 5.0 or later

iOS 10 or later

macOS 10.11 or later

Windows 7 or later

To This:

Android 7.0 or later

iOS 11 or later

iPadOS 13 or later

macOS 10.11 or later

Windows 7 or later

This is just one of the reasons there is so much waste in the world, forced upgrades of devices. It's all about profit and how to make more

No longer do devices last a lifetime and it's not always the choice of the consumer, most times it's forced upon them.

Sonos recent trade in scheme came in for some stick recently, but many people didn't mention the real issue with it and that was the fact that they just binned the old ones instead of recycling the parts, so it wasn't really a recycling scheme at all.

Glad I won't be around in a 100 years time to see how f****d up it really has become
    Last edited by mikeyb; 26-01-2020 at 10:02.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Sonos put out 8 software updates in 2019.

Still think that Legacy Sonos box will work in a couple of years

An update done in October also upped the app requirements from...

This:

Android 5.0 or later

iOS 10 or later

macOS 10.11 or later

Windows 7 or later

To This:

Android 7.0 or later

iOS 11 or later

iPadOS 13 or later

macOS 10.11 or later

Windows 7 or later

This is just one of the reasons there is so much waste in the world, forced upgrades of devices. It's all about profit and how to make more

No longer do devices last a lifetime and it's not always the choice of the consumer, most times it's forced upon them.

Sonos recent trade in scheme came in for some stick recently, but many people didn't mention the real issue with it and that was the fact that they just binned the old ones instead of recycling the parts, so it wasn't really a recycling scheme at all.

Glad I won't be around in a 100 years time to see how f****d up it really has become
    I've got an old top of the range tablet from Motorola I let my young son watch you tube videos on. Now they won't even work on it. It's basically a brick now, it's very frustrating.

I'm Dennis.

"This is just one of the reasons there is so much waste in the world, forced upgrades of devices. It's all about profit and how to make more "

Yes, and it all produces so little real advantage to the user, if any, and produces a dynamic of politics which ambiently overrides a sense of enjoyment of now.

I have a friend without a computer, who feels unable to get involved in the whole paradigm. This causes him no end of troubler dealing with authorities, because he insists on printed matter and the use of snail mail.

We are being cajoled. corralled into following what capitalism determines; endless buying of tat to go into landfill only a year or so later, but Gaia is not going to put up with us doing this.

I want good quality in all, and long lasting stuff which I service and cherish for the pleasure it gives, and to be grateful for what life and nature have given me, not to be a mindless consumer chasing the next facile ephemeral phantom in the mists.

I want the same for art, like KC's "I Talk To The Wind", "Epitaph" and Steve Miller's "Journey From Eden".
    These have words and atmosphere which are as true and valid today as when they were written, former '69, latter'72.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "This is just one of the reasons there is so much waste in the world, forced upgrades of devices. It's all about profit and how to make more "

Yes, and it all produces so little real advantage to the user, if any, and produces a dynamic of politics which ambiently overrides a sense of enjoyment of now.

I have a friend without a computer, who feels unable to get involved in the whole paradigm. This causes him no end of troubler dealing with authorities, because he insists on printed matter and the use of snail mail.

We are being cajoled. corralled into following what capitalism determines; endless buying of tat to go into landfill only a year or so later, but Gaia is not going to put up with us doing this.

I want good quality in all, and long lasting stuff which I service and cherish for the pleasure it gives, and to be grateful for what life and nature have given me, not to be a mindless consumer chasing the next facile ephemeral phantom in the mists.

I want the same for art, like KC's "I Talk To The Wind", "Epitaph" and Steve Miller's "Journey From Eden".
    These have words and atmosphere which are as true and valid today as when they were written, former '69, latter'72.
    Well today set about learning and practising the meaning of the four essential freedoms, that all computer users should have https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJi2rkHiNqg you should then see change occurring, particularly if you encourage others along the same path to also abandon proprietary software
    (and now surveillance operating systems), to replace with free software , that you associate with on a daily basis.

Linux Mint whilst containing some proprietary blobs is a great place to transition to using Linux, as i did in 2003 https://www.linuxmint.com/
    Other operating systems can be reviewed here. https://distrowatch.com

I totally agree with your friend in using printed matter - certainly for certain uses, as it stops the unethical accumulation of data by companies with entirely different motivation. I would encourage you to do the same - in certain areas of communication.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Well today set about learning and practising the meaning of the four essential freedoms, that all computer users should have https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJi2rkHiNqg you should then see change occurring, particularly if you encourage others along the same path to also abandon proprietary software
    (and now surveillance operating systems), to replace with free software , that you associate with on a daily basis.

Linux Mint whilst containing some proprietary blobs is a great place to transition to using Linux, as i did in 2003 https://www.linuxmint.com/
    Other operating systems can be reviewed here. https://distrowatch.com

I totally agree with your friend in using printed matter - certainly for certain uses, as it stops the unethical accumulation of data by companies with entirely different motivation. I would encourage you to do the same - in certain areas of communication.
    Your points are ethically very much a part of my stance and concerns, but are dealing with the computing aspects of our current culture - a subsect of the moral problems, which seem to epitomise and expose what is an underlying trend.

My concerns are more about the general morality, which I think is in collapse.

I use four 'cleaners' after every browse, and between them they often remove up to half a gig of junk resulting from the browse, but each seems to regard the others as problematic, which seems to me to suggest that each is also planting things on my (loathsome) PC.

My analogy is; I own my kitchen, but I go down in the morning to make breakfast and there is a man making a meal using my equipment, and this prevents me from getting access. Not only that, there is another man cooking another meal, and now they are even fighting each other over the facilities, I don't get a look in, and they eat my food, (data).

Two days ago, and this happens every morning now, I waited for about 20 mins before I could get to use my own computer, such was the agenda of my 'cleaners', and maybe Windows.
    Angry when I finally got control and used the cleaners, Ccleaner ran a scan and told me that I had 83 trackers, and I hadn't even used it yet. So it seems that I am peripheral to the suppliers of the software, incidental to the whole system which they are using to serve their needs, and yet I paid for the computer and the OS.

I have now won 20 litigations in recent years, most against corporations, and it is evident to me that we, the proletariat, are just a commodity to them, to be used, exploited, raped, and pillaged.
    This is the moral collapse to which I refer, and which I think extends well into employment politics now.

I look up SIRA, and find pictures of those with whom I worked in '74, and remember the atmosphere, reflected in the faces of those in the pictures, those of a genuinely kind, affectionate and enquiringly altruistic nature, with sadness. What have we become?

I'm Chris.

Cool Moving forwards

I would then without delay find a 2gb or higher USB thumb drive, download Linux Mint, https://www.linuxmint.com/ then write the image file to a USB drive,
    which will happily run on your computer, you may need to allocate the usb drive using F2 at start up to access bios to change the 1st drive being read.

Then with a suitable beverage in hand sit back and compare what you were using, with what is the next step awaiting when installed.

If we want to dwell on moral collapse there is plenty of evidence. Adopt instead a policy of no longer being a victim as the problems like you identify, are just too vast to
    waste time on. Instead, with a coat or armour perhaps, and if you really have to , then set about enjoy pointing the errors back at those who perpetuate this nonsense, if that brings relief.
    But don't get too tied up, as its endless. There are many better causes for your precious time and skills.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 26-01-2020 at 21:17.

I'm Chris.

Here to help is an informative thread about transitioning to Mint 19.3 https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...-cinnamon-193/

I'm Dennis.

Many thanks for your help and pointers, but I am not computer savvy, and feel an antipathy towards the whole medium. (Even though I have Advanced Computer Principles). I also do not want to keep on buying stuff for it and perpetuating the whole business.

I did a few months ago buy a Mac, and this is much better, but not problem free.

My approach is to become more isolated from the massive traffic of it all, and rather contemptuous of society because the proles are not having a revolution, and instead are capitulating and acquiescing, which perpetrates what I see as the oncoming Armageddon.

I'm Dennis.

I'll go further and say that capitalism seems to want to completely undermine any sense of 'centred self' which we may have.

If we try purposively in directing ourselves to a task, far from being easy and direct, we find not only an inefficiency-producing obstacle course confronts us, but numerous distractions designed to hi-jack our sense of direction and way-lay us.

This is manifest in supermarkets where we find not only a paucity of labelling of product categories, but poor categorisation. If the sellers were producing dictionaries they would, far from having alphabetical order of words, shuffle them randomly so that we have to go through the whole dictionary to find the one we want.

We are having our sense of ourselves in our present put to one side, because we have so many distractions, and we feel that we are on a roller-coaster hanging on for dear life, too worried about survival to pay proper attention to the task we wish to pursue. This is what psychopaths do with their attitude of treating others as a resource to be exploited, regardless of their worth, rights, sensitivities, or well being. Let's see what happens under Boris without the regulation of the EU on human rights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast