+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For sale / Swop: SME V tonearm

I'm Peter.

PM replied to. My first priority will be a straight sale but don't let that stop you from approaching me.

Just phoned SME and because the service manager was off today, I sent him an email asking about year of manufacture and service history. I will post more info next week.
    Last edited by Rosewind; 30-01-2020 at 09:42.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Peter.

Watched a few videos of SME factory tours. Especially enjoyed the parts where Service Manager Brian Laker showed the tonearm and turntable service and assembly area.

The arm is still here. The silver tonearm cable was made by "Gothic Cable". Price: £2000. Swaps welcome but figure in cash to go with your arm.
    Last edited by Rosewind; 02-02-2020 at 15:52.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Peter.

The SME V tonearm was made in 2007 according to SME UK. No service history.

I'm Andy.

Do you know how much a service would be?
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Peter.

Hi Andy. I did not ask Brian Laker. I just sent him an email at SME UK. Stay tuned.

I'm Nari.

around £700 ish for a service
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Peter.

A comprehensive SME service where the SME V tonearm comes back to you as new costs £748.80. So £2749 will let you have a new updated arm. Any takers?

I'm Neil.

I see this often. Are SME arms so fragile they need serviced? Bollocks they do, unless mistreated and the one in the photos looks well looked after. I have an SME5 from the 1990s and it sounds great and does as it always did. Never serviced. The laugh here is back in the day that service charge got you an SME 309 and a cart. Go a little bit further back that service charge nearly got you an SME4.

Feel very insecure about it get Johnny of AO to look at it.

If I needed another SME5 I would not hesitate to buy this and £2000 is a good price for such an arm.
    Regards Neil

I'm Peter.

The service will give you a new arm tube, new bearings and the newest litz wire in the arm. If I owned an SME 309 magnesium arm with the old bearings, this is what I would do to it. With an already good SME V, I would (and will) just sit tight and save the money.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    The service will give you a new arm tube, new bearings and the newest litz wire in the arm. If I owned an SME 309 magnesium arm with the old bearings, this is what I would do to it. With an already good SME V, I would (and will) just sit tight and save the money.
    Having compared the old 309 and the new, I prefer the old. Its not a service then and those calling it a service are incorrect, its an upgrade, except it may not be, magnesium is not the be all and end all and too much can result in a dead, flat, clinical sound.

Regardless I think your arm is a good buy for someone. Shocked its still hear.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast