+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CDP Lens and CD Cleaning

I'm Robert.

Default CDP Lens and CD Cleaning

Any tips, what to use, recommend's etc
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Martin.

Nothing, leave it alone. If the player's working then the laser and the lens are fine. If it is skipping or not reading there could be many reasons for that, it isn't necessary anything to do with the laser.

You can damage the lens and the laser by cleaning it. So my advice is don't touch it unless the unit is faulty and you done fault finding and ruled out everything else. Then there's nothing left to lose.

You can't improve sound quality by cleaning the lens, it isn't like a stylus on a cartridge.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nothing, leave it alone. If the player's working then the laser and the lens are fine. If it is skipping or not reading there could be many reasons for that, it isn't necessary anything to do with the laser.

You can damage the lens and the laser by cleaning it. So my advice is don't touch it unless the unit is faulty and you done fault finding and ruled out everything else. Then there's nothing left to lose.

You can't improve sound quality by cleaning the lens, it isn't like a stylus on a cartridge.
    Ta
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Any tips, what to use, recommend's etc
    On the label side of a CD , see if you have fingerprints on the clear part, in the middle of the disc
    If so wipe the CD with a suitable cloth to remove those finger prints.

You will be surprised how many CD's read much better having had this done.

Pioneer Stable platter type players are much less likely to suffer from this problem

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    On the label side of a CD , see if you have fingerprints on the clear part, in the middle of the disc
    If so wipe the CD with a suitable cloth to remove those finger prints.

You will be surprised how many CD's read much better having had this done.

Pioneer Stable platter type players are much less likely to suffer from this problem
    Thanks Chris
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Alan.

Over the years a thin film of dust can accumulate on the lens.
    Use a very soft brush to brush it off.

I'm Andre.

If you are a smoker & smoke in the house, Perish the thought, then yes it will need cleaning.. i use IPA

I'm Dennis.

I have a CD with cleaning hairs on it, what is IPA, surely not beer?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have a CD with cleaning hairs on it, what is IPA, surely not beer?
    Isopropyl alcohol.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

I would clean the lens, but would not use IPA. Cotton bud under a tap, run along back of hand to ensure all excess water gone (you just want it damp, not wet), gently wipe over surface of lens.

I’d also ensure discs are clean - remember TOC is on inside edge of disc, end of CD at outside edge. When cleaning discs use straight motion from inside edge to outside edge, not round and round circular movements.

Badge scratches in discs can be removed with duraglit.

+ Reply to Thread