+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy dust caps

I'm frank.

Default Tannoy dust caps

I know it's a fairly common practice to remove the dust caps or not bother installing them after a recone and was wondering where they all go?
    I'm after a pair of the 4.5 inch nylon mesh ones from the K/DU models(3128/3828 etc).
    The cloth HPD ones are still available from that man on eBay but scrap or mint would do....
    Ta

I'm frank.

None, nada?

I'm Akim.

When I sold my K3808 project, put them in the cabs for the buyer to use at later point.. Think others just throw them out..

I'm frank.

I live in hope.

I'm Dennis.

There must be numerous types available on the web, I would go for the coarsest mech you can find, and nylon is likely to attenuate HF less than cloth/fibre types.

I'm frank.

Genuine pair now sorted, thanks.

I'm kenny.

I have heard the opinion that without dust caps you need to blow off compressed air every year to avoid accumulation of dust. Because dust can become a conductor and cause problems.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by kennystone View Post
    I have heard the opinion that without dust caps you need to blow off compressed air every year to avoid accumulation of dust. Because dust can become a conductor and cause problems.
    Not so. Dust will not build up in the voicecoil gap as the oscillations of the cone produce a pumping, bellows like effect blowing air back and forth through the coil area.

Dust accumulating on the cone surface can be brushed off carefully with a soft paintbrush or makeup brush. Use of compressed air is not a good idea.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread