+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I saved £895 on a PSU for my 401.

I'm Andrew.

Default How I saved £895 on a PSU for my 401.

I looked into getting a Long Dog Audio PSU @ £895.

The main benefits for buying this PSU are :-

1. You can control the voltage and in theory control / lessen vibration getting into the platter from the motor.
    2. You can generate a more or less perfect sine wave for 50Hz which if variable will cause platter speed differences.
    3. It generates a clean supply with very little total harmonic distortion.

So what did I do? Well I cheated I used a PS Audio P10 and smart plinth design.

My PS Audio P10 allows me to control voltage to specific plugs. So I now run 220 Volts into my 401 and I decoupled my 401's motor from the main chassis so
    the motor generates even less vibration and it still does not get into the platter. This was done via the Martin Bastin plinth. The P10 generates a very clean electrical signal with ~0.1% distortion alongside a near perfect 50Hz sine wave, so virtually nil platter variations. The 401 runs between 33.3 and 33.4 RPM.

So the £895 still sits in the bank and I'm one less box and power cable in my listening room.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andre.

I should tthinks so how much they cost.

I'm kev.

Andrew would this cheat work on the Garrard 301 too?
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Old boy View Post
    Andrew would this cheat work on the Garrard 301 too?
    Can't see why not I have a 301 as well. My 301 does have a Phoenix Engineering Tachometer so platter speed control is within 0.01 RPM.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Graham.

Excellent solution. I have also used a power inspired 1500ag high works well no I don't it's as good as the p 10. The LDA PSU is better but the power inspired is a cost effective solution that can also be used to power other components.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I looked into getting a Long Dog Audio PSU @ £895.

The main benefits for buying this PSU are :-

1. You can control the voltage and in theory control / lessen vibration getting into the platter from the motor.
    2. You can generate a more or less perfect sine wave for 50Hz which if variable will cause platter speed differences.
    3. It generates a clean supply with very little total harmonic distortion.

So what did I do? Well I cheated I used a PS Audio P10 and smart plinth design.

My PS Audio P10 allows me to control voltage to specific plugs. So I now run 220 Volts into my 401 and I decoupled my 401's motor from the main chassis so
    the motor generates even less vibration and it still does not get into the platter. This was done via the Martin Bastin plinth. The P10 generates a very clean electrical signal with ~0.1% distortion alongside a near perfect 50Hz sine wave, so virtually nil platter variations. The 401 runs between 33.3 and 33.4 RPM.

So the £895 still sits in the bank and I'm one less box and power cable in my listening room.
    Be interesting to see what a decoupled motor on a 401 looks like. Pics please!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Be interesting to see what a decoupled motor on a 401 looks like. Pics please!
    No can do sorry. I'd have to completely disassemble the 401, why not talk to Martin Bastin.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Excellent solution. I have also used a power inspired 1500ag high works well no I don't it's as good as the p 10. The LDA PSU is better but the power inspired is a cost effective solution that can also be used to power other components.
    Your getting pretty much the same solution. Your getting a near perfect sine wave. Can you control voltage?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Pete.

Thank you for your explanation Andrew, it makes more sense now. However, unless of course you got a great deal on the PS10 I'd hardly call it saving money!!!
    Analogue: Garrard 401 (NWA), NWA slate plinth, Redbeard bearing, SME IV, Dynavector XX-2 MkII, Pathos In The Groove Mk II. Digital: Self built PC, RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card, Mytek 8x192 ADDA & MADI DIO card. Other: Shadow Hills Equinox, ATC SCM50ASL Pro, Towersonic TS-1B, Analysis Plus Power Oval & XLR ic, Sine SRT-3KV, Sine SA-6, Sine Royal 2S

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by ost_ View Post
    Thank you for your explanation Andrew, it makes more sense now. However, unless of course you got a great deal on the PS10 I'd hardly call it saving money!!!
    I already had the PS10 and was thinking about splashing out another £895. A little cable management and better plinth design saved the wedge.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast