+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrard SP25 Mk IV Running slow

I'm James.

Default Garrard SP25 Mk IV Running slow

Anyone got any suggestions how i can improve the speed stability on my Gerrard SP25 mk IV. It appears to be running slow with piano notes sounding warbly.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

Really good clean and relube?

Replacement idler wheel?

I'm Adam.

It sounds like a motor or idler issue as this deck has a synchronous AC motor, so speed can’t be adjusted.

As above, a good service should sort it out.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm James.

Thanks chaps, I will open it up at the weekend and give it a good clean and service. I feel the old oil may have gone a bit waxy and idler wheel maybe either worn or contaminated?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andre.

Motor still wants oiling.. I would personally start with that.

I'm Andre.

Forgot to mention the idler wheel, i used to use Armor Hall rubber restorer. These usually go a bit hard and get a shiney surface to the edge of the wheel & some decks can get a flat spot if left in speed for a long time hence rumble..

I'm James.

What would be the best chemical to remove the old oil/gunk and what oil is best for relubing?

I'm Andre.

Dont use anything like 3 in 1 oil.. Something thin, maybe a bit of sewing machine oil in the motor. Before servicing the idler with rejuvenator i used to rub em over with Isopropyl Alchhol.. No different than cleaning over a hard Pinch roller..

I'm Michael.

To keep the idler sweet on my 401, I take the idler off, then using a new green scouring pad stretched out on a table gently clean the edge of the idler, rotating it as you go.
    Using chemicals can harden the rubber, also, make sure that there aren’t any flats on the idler due to the turntable being left in the on position without the power on.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    To keep the idler sweet on my 401, I take the idler off, then using a new green scouring pad stretched out on a table gently clean the edge of the idler, rotating it as you go.
    Using chemicals can harden the rubber, also, make sure that there aren’t any flats on the idler due to the turntable being left in the on position without the power on.
    Thanks for the advice Michael. I fear the idler wheel has been left engaged against the platter rim when the TT has been switched off and may have a flat spot so will have a go with a scourer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast