+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrard SP25 Mk IV Running slow

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Dont use anything like 3 in 1 oil.. Something thin, maybe a bit of sewing machine oil in the motor. Before servicing the idler with rejuvenator i used to rub em over with Isopropyl Alchhol.. No different than cleaning over a hard Pinch roller..

I have gallons of IPA so will use this to clean the mechanism and probably leave it with oil but just use a bit on the bearing.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

I have also noticed the tonearm is a little stiff sometimes when I release the lift mechanism. It takes a few seconds before it actually decides to engage the stylus with the record!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Found another issue with the SP25. The tonearm cueing mechanism / lift is now not slowing down the arm, the damping seems to have stopped working.
    Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I'm James.

When I took the turntable off to re oil the bearing it looked mint underneath apart from a little dust, however one of the bearing thrust plates had a huge blob of what looked like Tar on it. This black sticky substance was smeared all round the washer and was very difficult to remove and was probably the main cause of the speed issues I was having.

So once all was cleaned I oiled the bearing and mechanism and cleaned idler wheel and rim of the turntable. to be honest the idler looked fine, no flat spots or issues.

Listening tonight and there has been a transformation to the sound. No rumble, no wow or flutter, no speed variation and there is now a flow to the music and timing that sounds absolutely correct. I will check the speed sometime to see how accurate it is but the sound has been elevated by some considerable margin. Treble is more airy and there is a solidity to the sound with perfect pitch on piano sustained notes. Bass is less muddy and vocals sound more lifelike.

Who would have thought a simple clean and little oil could make so much difference!

I'm Andre.

Sound that thick shit is just hard grease that needed removing and fresh

I'm Brian.

Well done mate , very nice reward for all your hard work
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andre.

When i bought this second JVC 'JL-A1' . It ran slow, the Auto return mechanism failed to worked properly, The arm lifted stopped travelling half way back, Was just a simple strip down, Motor oiled, Bearing oiled, New belt & all moving mechanical parts cleaned & regreased. Works perfect now. Shame its an ornament

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Well done mate , very nice reward for all your hard work
    Cheers Brian, it really has been worth it. Listening now and there is a definite improvement across the board.

I can hear more of the music now and less of the turntable!

I'm James.

So a few weeks on from the service / lubrication I have been listening to some familiar music and the extra amount of detail is astonishing. The acoustics of instruments in the soundstage now have a lot more information going on. I can here echoes in the recording venues that were previously not audible.

I am amazed at this increase in information and I can only put it down to the fact that with much more speed accuracy and way less vibration being transmitted from the bearing the stylus is retrieving more information and is therefore not adversely affected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12