+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some dealers... phew..!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yeah my other half is from Sheffield originally and she goes on about Moorgate. I did buy a pair of Rogers LS3/5a's from them back in the early nineties but I thought they were mainly about Linn, Naim and Rega..? I'll check 'em out.
    You should, Paul the owner is one of the worlds nice guys, I’ve purchased a number of things from him over the years and he always makes me welcome after my drive up from North London.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Andre.

I used to use them in the 80's in Rotherham when Paul's Dad Keith ran it, Paul was only a young un back then, but a nice kid.. They had everything you could dream of back then.. They even had a Technics Shelf lol.. They moved just across the road for a bit before moving to Sheffield just down from Devonshire St..

I'm Neil.

Sorry to hear about the mobility issues Shaun, I hope you recover soon.

The attitude displayed was awful, pre booking does mean the rooms set up is is done well, everything is warmed up and it gives a demonstrator a chance to make sure everything is optimal. In saying that back in the day if the room was not booked and a customer was happy made aware of the less than optimal no warm up, I always did the demo, and budget was irrelevant. I treated all the same.

On a few occasions I set up items on the shop floor and on one occasion a customer who was not happy re the poor treatment regarding their using a wheel chair by another dealer, I gutted the dem room, removing the large sofa to make it possible for them to have a central listening position.

I hate stories like this, shame on Vickers.
    Regards Neil

I'm Kevin.

When I lived in Sheffield, I found Moorgate acoustics a bit cold if I am honest.
    That was back in the late 90’s. They obviously sensed I was an almost penniless student that could not afford the kit they had on offer.

Not been back since, as I moved away....
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andre.

I know what you mean Kevin, The temp shop they moved into across from the original shop was just the same.. But that shop was the first time i saw the JDI Amplifiers that Castle Acoustics Ltd were distributing at the time.. I did buy a new Cyrus 'Two' & a second hand Radford 'WSCD1' CD player from there but the majority of my older stuff came from the original shop.. I was a sad twat when i first got into Hi-Fi in the early 80's getting excited every weekend looking thru that big side window where all the 2nd hand Equipmet was on display, spotting something rushing back home to scam the Hi-Fi Answers mag see what they say about it lol.. I did do something right regardless of how naive i was picked the Logic 'DM101' over the 'LP12' lol hoever i did try an early 2nd hand one with Grace '707' later on..

I'm brian.

3 or 4 days notice to set up some audio equipment... hmm !. I n China they have the bulldozers out at the moment trying literally to build a new hospital in a week to cope
    with the current crises over there. UK A ... Surely hi fi shops are not rushed off there feet that much these days that its beyond them to help someone who s just driven 50 miles
    to potentially buy something ?. Sorry to hear your troubles Shaun

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    : Surely hi fi shops are not rushed off there feet that much these days that its beyond them to help someone who s just driven 50 miles to potentially buy something ?.
    Exactly. Probably they had jack shit on that day but they're only really interested in people who are going to drop 20 grand. The dealers I used to go to were the same. You could be in there an hour, no-one else would come through the door. And that was on a Saturday in the town centre. If you wanted to buy something you'd have to talk them into selling it to you. And forget a proper dem, they'd lash it up on the shop floor, maybe, if you were lucky.

Their bread and butter was home theatre installs, not bothered about some youth with £300 for an amp. very short-sighted as today's youth with £300 is the bloke who will be spending £30K a decade later - if he's looked after and a relationship built. Clueless idiots.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm brian.

Yup, loyalty between customer and dealer should be a 2 way thing !

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Some dealers are very limited to me as I currently have big mobility issues and seem to be spending quite a bit of time in hospital in Sheffield. I'm just hoping I don't have to resort to a bloody mobility scooter
    I hope your current issues are fleeting and not permanent, and you get well soon.

But on a lighter note I had to use a mobility scooter for a while after having an operation on my leg. The hooligan in me came out. In the local park I could do wheelies and fantastic drifts on the slippy grass.

Again get well soon.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Alan.

Yes I have visited Vickers HIFI twice in York you are treat like an alien unless you have an appointment, they will not demonstrate anything on spec
    Its mental this snobby know it all attitude gets them nowhere, but I doubt they will change.
    Your better of visiting the Sound organisation much more friendly people
    https://www.google.com/search?q=york...q3OzKMjwnQ;mv:[[53.994362599999995,-1.0793123],[53.918127,-1.1231427]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1! 2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast