+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Some dealers... phew..!

I'm Clint.

Just posting this as there are some good guys still out there. Between late November & December 2019, had 3 deck demo’s at Cheshire Audio in Crewe as Phil (The owner) stocks Notts Analogue & Rega. Demo’s were pre-arranged as I have a Sugden amp & Phil also stocks Sugden. Sugden’s sound better after an hour or so warm up so good to pre book the demo so he can get the suggy heated up some. Listened to 3 Rega decks & 3 Notts decks, was about to place an order for a Ace Spacedeck & was offered the ex demo NAS Hyperspace at a FANTASTIC price complete with Acespace tone arm he had in store. Another demo later & I bought the Hyperspace complete with a new cartridge, one of the most musical decks i’ve heard irrespective of cost, absolutely love it, just so musical.

3/4 days later, Phil brings the Hyperspace over to my house & sets it up. Stays for an album side to make sure everything is sounding right, it is!! I offer him fuel money for popping over & his time to set the deck up, not required thank you.

I ask Phil if he could sell my Rega RP6 on his shops Ebay account as I don’t have one, plus I don’t have a Paypal account. I take my RP6 to his shop a few days later complete with all original packaging etc. The deck went on line 2 or so days later & sold within 4/5 hours. Phil even delivered the RP6 to the buyer as he lived about 10 miles away. New RP6 owner is delighted, i’m delighted as i’ve got the cash minus the ebay/paypal charges, also minus the hassle of setting up an ebay account just to sell my RP6. Phil gets some great feedback on his ebay shop from new RP6 owner too. I’m happy my old deck has a new owner who will look after it, loved that RP6 but the Hyperspace, just on another level, just amazing.

Long may small, conscientious, customer satisfaction led businesses like Cheshire Audio thrive in our internet dominated retail sector. A wave mechanic power supply will be next on the cards for my Hyperspace, guess where I shall be ordering that from.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Just out of interest was the demo room free when you arrived or was someone else having, or due to have, a demo? If it had been set up carefully for someone later in the day I could understand that they wouldn't want to shift anything around.

I personally wouldn't turn up to a dealer and expect a demo without notice. How such a refusal is communicated however is another matter, if they were rude then that's totally not on.
    We were there for around fifteen minutes and in that time there was no one in the place and nothing happening. That doesn't mean to say that there weren't bookings for later of course.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I personally wouldn't turn up to a dealer and expect a demo without notice. How such a refusal is communicated however is another matter, if they were rude then that's totally not on.
    We were told quite simply that they required two/three days notice to arrange something and then it would only happen if they had nothing booked. At that point he thought it appropriate to walk off. Sue and I continued to have a good look around but then left due to the whole experience being a waste of time; or not, depending on your viewpoint.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post
    Just posting this as there are some good guys still out there. Between late November & December 2019, had 3 deck demo’s at Cheshire Audio in Crewe as Phil (The owner) stocks Notts Analogue & Rega. Demo’s were pre-arranged as I have a Sugden amp & Phil also stocks Sugden. Sugden’s sound better after an hour or so warm up so good to pre book the demo so he can get the suggy heated up some. Listened to 3 Rega decks & 3 Notts decks, was about to place an order for a Ace Spacedeck & was offered the ex demo NAS Hyperspace at a FANTASTIC price complete with Acespace tone arm he had in store. Another demo later & I bought the Hyperspace complete with a new cartridge, one of the most musical decks i’ve heard irrespective of cost, absolutely love it, just so musical.

3/4 days later, Phil brings the Hyperspace over to my house & sets it up. Stays for an album side to make sure everything is sounding right, it is!! I offer him fuel money for popping over & his time to set the deck up, not required thank you.

I ask Phil if he could sell my Rega RP6 on his shops Ebay account as I don’t have one, plus I don’t have a Paypal account. I take my RP6 to his shop a few days later complete with all original packaging etc. The deck went on line 2 or so days later & sold within 4/5 hours. Phil even delivered the RP6 to the buyer as he lived about 10 miles away. New RP6 owner is delighted, i’m delighted as i’ve got the cash minus the ebay/paypal charges, also minus the hassle of setting up an ebay account just to sell my RP6. Phil gets some great feedback on his ebay shop from new RP6 owner too. I’m happy my old deck has a new owner who will look after it, loved that RP6 but the Hyperspace, just on another level, just amazing.

Long may small, conscientious, customer satisfaction led businesses like Cheshire Audio thrive in our internet dominated retail sector. A wave mechanic power supply will be next on the cards for my Hyperspace, guess where I shall be ordering that from.
    Clint, that is such good news.

I'm Glen.

I supposed I’m a little biased as I worked for Moorgate Acoustics for about 12 years (1999 to 2011)! In all the time I was there all the staff would go out of their way to help anyone walking in off the street, unless of course the demo room was already booked and in use! Otherwise we would all chip in and set up the requested items. Paul Hobson always said that the demo room was the shops best asset. A sit down with good music and a cuppa, all in a relaxed atmosphere.

Moorgate have moved to Woodseats now and have a great record shop in the basement (which will be difficult to get to if you have mobility issues sadly). They do have Naim, Rega etc, but they also sell a lot more, certainly check the website out. The record shop is called Wax... They sell a good many Mobile Fidelity albums, along with good priced S/h records and cd’s.
    Last edited by glenann; 26-01-2020 at 22:46.

I'm David.

I'll give a shout out to Fanthorpes for excellent service.

I live in Kings Lynn, Norfolk and they are in Hull. I expressed interest in a pair of PMC Twnety5 23 that were on special offer (about £800 off rrp). I was speaking to Mark on the phone about them. He said that'd just sold the last pair but they did still have some Twenty5 24 on offer, and that they were delivering to Norwich at the end of the week. The upshot of the conversation was that they would drop a demo pair off on the way to Norwich, leaving them with me for the day. If I liked them, they would have a brand new pair on the van to swap for the demo pair on the way back.

The day arrived and (on time) not only did they drop off the Twenty5 24 but also a pair of Twenty5 22 for me to compare. As it turned out the 22 were fantastic, just right for our lounge. I bought them. Now that is customer service.

I also bought a pair of matching PMC stands.

It's so disappointing to read that there are still Hifi retailers that display somewhat indifferent, elitist attitudes. They can obviously afford to lose business.
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Graham.

I am sure you will enjoy a visit to Fanthorpes. maybe ring them up and see if they can arrange some parking for you close by. There is also a fantastic eatery in the refurbed indoor Trinity Market, which is part of the same building as Fanthorpes. About 20 different vendors with a nice central eating area with a nice vibe. The coffee from the dedicated coffee stall Caffenated is also fantastic.
    There is even a vinyl shop in Trinity Market, Spin It Records.

I'm Evie.

Hi Haselsh1,

Sorry to hear you are having health problems.

Moorgate in Sheffield were super when a chum of mine wanted to buy some BW speakers. They were all always very tolerant of me coming in for a look around (and a drool).
    I can't comment on Audio centre in Sheffield.

Fanthropes are really good too. I bought my first Marantz system there but Hull is a little way from Sheffield - you should be able to pick up some decent fish 'n' chips if you do decide to go.

I'm Shaun.

I know of Moorgate's in Sheffield as way back in the 90's I drove over there and bought a pair of rosewood finish Rogers LS3/5a's, the single wired version. At the time I was using a Meridian two box CD player/DAC as the source and a Musical Fidelity A100X integrated amp. That amp still rates as one of the finest components I have ever owned. I also used a Alphason Sonata with an HR100S MCS arm and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt cartridge.

Excellent days although it could just be rose tinted shit of course. I'd much rather have the system I have now.

I'm Shaun.

Of course, saying that I'd much rather have the system I have now doesn't mean I wouldn't alter a few things.

I'd sell my current power amp (Prima Luna Dialogue Premium) and swap out for the monoblocks and swap up the preamp (Prima Luna Prologue 3) for a Dialogue Premium.

I'd also like that Denon CD player that is also an SACD player.

I do have three tickets for Wednesday's Lotto

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast