+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some dealers... phew..!

I'm Shaun.

Default Some dealers... phew..!

Myself and other half Sue decided today that we would drive 50 miles or so to York to visit a hi-fi dealer there to listen to Quad S4's, Dali Oberon 7's and Wharfedale Evo 4.3's if they had them. I mentioned that I would ring them at nine but then Googled to find that they didn't open until eleven. Anyhow we set off with a nice lunch in mind if all else failed. On arrival I noticed a rather nice Audi R8 and Mercedes AMG parked outside as did Sue but went in and had a brief chat with one of the staff. I said we would just start with a look around to see what they had. They had most of what I was interested in but I was then told that I should have phoned ahead. I said that I was going to but it would have left us leaving home at gone eleven and the journey was an hour and half. That would have pushed time a bit for such a demo. The response was that for a demo they required a three or four day notice period and was on condition that they had nothing booked in. It was very clear they just didn't give a damn and weren't going to do anything at that particular time. Yeah OK so they knew we were looking at loudspeakers around the £1k mark so I wonder if things would've been different had we been interested in Sonus Faber's..?

I have since phoned a dealer in Hull who are now trying to organise a home demo of some Dali Opticon 6's and KEF R5's. They have the KEF's but not the Dali's.

Apparently they are going to ring when it is all sorted.

Time will tell maybe..?

I'm Shaun.

Default Wold's Village

Oh yeah, lunch was at the Wold's Village, Bainton. Great place to eat as it turned out.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Name and shame!

Most dealers would need to arrange an appointment for a demo, especially if you are interested in several speaker designs, and for the demonstration is to be carried out properly (which an increasing number of dealers don't know how to do).

But their attitude would have pee'd me off as well.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Yes Mark, Vickers Hi-Fi. Their attitude seemed to follow their choice of vehicle. Not so Fanthorpes though who just rang to sort out a demo at my home during the second week in Feb.

Fanthorpes though is quite difficult to get to especially when I can only walk using crutches and then only for around eight metres or so.

I'm really looking forward to listening to the KEF R5's

I'm paul.

And the reason I don't visit dealers. I would say icon audio were very good delivering my project ds2 digital and keeping me informed along the way.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    And the reason I don't visit dealers. I would say icon audio were very good delivering my project ds2 digital and keeping me informed along the way.
    Icon Audio, in my opinion deserve a medal for going way beyond what I would have expected back in 2011.

I'm Andre.

I would rather chance it than use a dealer..

I'm Shaun.

Some dealers are very limited to me as I currently have big mobility issues and seem to be spending quite a bit of time in hospital in Sheffield. I'm just hoping I don't have to resort to a bloody mobility scooter

I'm Andre.

What about Moorgate Acoustic in Sheffield or if they are still going Audio centre on Glossop Road?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    What about Moorgate Acoustic in Sheffield or if they are still going Audio centre on Glossop Road?
    Yeah my other half is from Sheffield originally and she goes on about Moorgate. I did buy a pair of Rogers LS3/5a's from them back in the early nineties but I thought they were mainly about Linn, Naim and Rega..? I'll check 'em out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast