+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rail Nationalisation

I'm Andre.

Default Rail Nationalisation

We'll know today if the North of England with be Nationalised.. Im hoping so but im in doubt if this will change. Fine if they can make the services more reliable but one of the most important things & the one that you find the customers moaning about most of all is standing due to lack of seating. More Rolling stock needs to be made. Serviices only required one additional Coach per service to eradicate this problem. Stop spending monet of the 'HS2' cack & get some more Rolling stock made. A lot of money has been spent of 'HS-2' but just scrap it, its not the first time thing of scale has been abandoned....Yet they are on about re opening those little lines that got scrapped under the Beeching reshaping of the 60's.. No no no forget about wasting money on that, that in my view it's using more rolling stock they dont have..

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    We'll know today if the North of England with be Nationalised.. Im hoping so but im in doubt if this will change. Fine if they can make the services more reliable but one of the most important things & the one that you find the customers moaning about most of all is standing due to lack of seating. More Rolling stock needs to be made. Serviices only required one additional Coach per service to eradicate this problem. Stop spending monet of the 'HS2' cack & get some more Rolling stock made. A lot of money has been spent of 'HS-2' but just scrap it, its not the first time thing of scale has been abandoned....Yet they are on about re opening those little lines that got scrapped under the Beeching reshaping of the 60's.. No no no forget about wasting money on that, that in my view it's using more rolling stock they dont have..
    I agree - up to a point. Some lines in the North have trains with hardly any carriages - 2 or 3 sometimes, where many trains in the SE round London have 8, 10 or 12. Some stations in the SE have been lengthened to allow longer trains.

Another factor is frequency of service, and extent of the service. If trains are only every hour, or perhaps even every two hours, many people will find that unacceptable, and drive instead. Also, if the last train is too early , then people will be reluctant to take the train in case they go out for an evening, and miss the last train. Missing the last train is just about bearable if there are taxis to solve the problem - even though that might be expensive. This may not be the case in some areas.

Increasing the service frequency may introduce other problems to be countered, such as having more staff, needing a more intricate timetable, and allowing for passing trains, so costs would increase - but the overall effect would be to provide a better service. In Scotland, where I now live, I think it would be possible to have faster and more frequent trains, but many of the lines are single track only. Longer trains might require modifications to infrastructure, such as introducing longer passing places and more passing places, if the costs of switching to multiple track working effectively prevent that option.

Lastly, there really ought to be integrated transport services. Perhaps this is less of an issue in the SE, but here there are buses and trains. In some areas buses and trains could complement each other. Passengers who miss one train and are then faced with a 2 hour wait for the next one should be allowed to take a bus on the same ticket, if that would help them. The notion of competition in rail transport may work as an economic model in the South, but it is crazy in the North where there are too few trains and often very poor service.

More rolling stock would be a start. Also note that most rail companies don’t own any carriages, but effectively rent them from other companies. In Scotland recent developments have been to put refurbished HS125 trains - probably from GWR - on some lines. The carriages are over 40 years old, but are far preferable to the diesel multiple unit trains which may have been thought cheaper to operate. This has led to the joke about Scotrail issuing videos and flyers about how to get on and off the trains, as the doors have to be operated manually, and “rebadging” some trains as “Classic 125”.
    Dave

I'm Andre.

Im all for rebuilding those Class 43 HST's, fantastic locos that have been the Networks back bone for 35 years now. Everything in this country has been cut back & modified for the sake of saving dosh. They certainly got short memories.. I always thought with a nationalised network, it was not about pure profit but the putting back into the system whats been made..

I'm Steve.

Perhaps the problem of overcrowded carriages could be alleviated if "3rd class" was reintroduced, in the form of seats fitted to the carriage roofs. A bit nasty at this time of year, but if the fares were cheap enough I'm sure it could be a goer.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Perhaps the problem of overcrowded carriages could be alleviated if "3rd class" was reintroduced, in the form of seats fitted to the carriage roofs. A bit nasty at this time of year, but if the fares were cheap enough I'm sure it could be a goer.
    Most trains I have been on were “3rd class” already!

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andre.

Scrap 1st class & let them get their heads from up thur arses & travel on a fully standard service like everyone else. Utter waste of coach space. Ive been on packed train with empty 1st class coaches, nor was they any reserve tickets on the seat backs..

I'm Steve.

As long as that standard service is at least on a par with current 1st class. I like having proper bog roll in the toilets, not pieces of newspaper hanging off a bit of string

Always used to travel 1st class to Scotland, but only ever bought 2nd class tickets. Only got caught once, and the ticket guy let us stay anyway as the train was almost empty.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Scrap 1st class & let them get their heads from up thur arses & travel on a fully standard service like everyone else. Utter waste of coach space. Ive been on packed train with empty 1st class coaches, nor was they any reserve tickets on the seat backs..
    Obviously people cannot afford first-class or they probably travel in chauffeur driven luxury.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Andre.

I dont know how they can the price of a standard ticket is crazy at it is.. Well 1st March lets see an improvement.. Just one problem, a large section of the network is still privatised..

I'm Clive.

I frequently travel 1st Manchester to London. It usually only costs a very few pounds extra. Today I went from Manchester to Reading via Euston. 2nd class would have been £70, I paid £67 for 1st.....no idea why or how. Don’t assume 1st is expensive. Food and drinks included on some routes too.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast