+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current Garrard 401 prices

I'm Charlie.

401s seemed to hover around the £450 mark for ages so I suppose it had to happen. Possibly spurred on by the SME/ Garrard buy? Good value compared to the 301.

I'm Andre.

15 years ago i paid £75 for a mint '401' with SME '3009' in SME'2000' sold it 5 years later on for £100.00. My mate bought just the motor unit around the same time for £85. Even now i would sell a '401' for £100. Ive alway always under cut myself with asking prices, always cos thats how i am. I cant stand greedy oportunists that work around artificially created price points..

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have a lovely NOS 401 tucked away, will fettle it when I get time.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andrew.

401's were going for the £250 price mark when I started looking. I bought a barn find for £200 and spent quite a bit doing it up. You don't need to spend £895 on a PSU. A lot of the benefits can be gained by careful lateral thinking.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Pete.

Wow, £900 for a Longdog PSU upgrade, unfortunately that's way out of my league given current circumstances!
    Andrew, please could you elaborate, what are you referring to in your comment about lateral thinking?
    Andre, wow, £75 is very good indeed! Btw love your profile photo
    My memory is sketchy but I seem to remember paying around £375 for my 401, and it must've beeen around 8-9 years ago.
    Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by ost_; 24-01-2020 at 03:13.
    Analogue: Garrard 401 (NWA), NWA slate plinth, Redbeard bearing, SME IV, Dynavector XX-2 MkII, Pathos In The Groove Mk II. Digital: Self built PC, RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card, Mytek 8x192 ADDA & MADI DIO card. Other: Shadow Hills Equinox, ATC SCM50ASL Pro, Towersonic TS-1B, Analysis Plus Power Oval & XLR ic, Sine SRT-3KV, Sine SA-6, Sine Royal 2S

I'm inthescottishmafia.

One for sale here, near NOS unit he'll sell for £600-

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...e-m2-9.236449/
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Pete.

Thanks for the link Ali, I'm still only toying with the idea however!
    Reading up a bit, the LDA PSU basically just 'purifies' the incoming electricity?
    I already have an AC noise filter on my audio system mains supply, and the system receives power via the Sine SRT-3KV, linked below, which is basically a voltage regulator. So, would I still benefit from another box just for the 401 PS?
    Thanks guys.

http://sineworld.com/html/voltage_regulator/srt3kv.html
    Last edited by ost_; 25-01-2020 at 12:33.
    Analogue: Garrard 401 (NWA), NWA slate plinth, Redbeard bearing, SME IV, Dynavector XX-2 MkII, Pathos In The Groove Mk II. Digital: Self built PC, RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card, Mytek 8x192 ADDA & MADI DIO card. Other: Shadow Hills Equinox, ATC SCM50ASL Pro, Towersonic TS-1B, Analysis Plus Power Oval & XLR ic, Sine SRT-3KV, Sine SA-6, Sine Royal 2S

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ost_ View Post
    Thanks for the link Ali, I'm still only toying with the idea however!
    Reading up a bit, the LDA PSU basically just 'purifies' the incoming electricity?
    I already have an AC noise filter on my audio system mains supply, and the system receives power via the Sine SRT-3KV, linked below, which is basically a voltage regulator. So, would I still benefit from another box just for the 401 PS?
    Thanks guys.

http://sineworld.com/html/voltage_regulator/srt3kv.html
    Yeh that's all it does, ridiculous money to spend on a power supply. I use a Power inspired AG1500 which does the same thing, only it costs much less - can be had for £300 used, they're nearly always in excellent condition anyway, and powers up to 4 audio units rather than just one.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Graham.

As I understand it the LDA doesn't just purify the mains it regenerates a 230v output (on the mk1 model) similar to the Power Inspired 1500AG. The LDA does also clean up the supply though i am not qualified to comment on what this means. I have both units and for the money the 1500AG does a great job outputting a stable 230v which solves the pitch instability of the early 401 run on mains. As mentioned above, it can also be used for other source components,though i still plug the amplifier into the wall socket.
    However, there is no denying that the LDA power supply is a worthwhile step up. The soundstage widens and there seems to be more time and space to hear the music without losing any of the energy as if a thin layer of hash has been removed. So if the rest of your system is revealing enough, it's one of incremental improvements that helps push the 401 into the TT Major League. I have no intention to change the 401, so it was a worthwhile investment, particularly at the significant saving buying a used Mk1.
    So although I would have preferred to only have one PSU, i have ended up using the LDA for the 401 and the 1500 for other source components........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12