+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coupling caps for tube preamp

I'm Chris.

Silly question (probably) but are caps directional? I would imagine only if they have polarity stipulated?

Logic would dictate not really, but once used in a certain direction for a time, best not to reverse it?
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Alan.

Film caps are reversible.
    Some film caps have the outer foil lead marked, so that you connect the outer foil end to the lowest impedance to give a degree of shielding to the cap.

Every day is a skool day.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Every day is a skool day.
    Indeed sir.

Certainly learn more on here than in say, humanities.... Make that any subject for me to be fair!
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

So, after realising my previously desired caps simply would not fit in my preamp I've decided to go with some Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil cap for the higher power (4.3uF) duties. Along with an Audyn True Copper Max cap for the lower (0.33uF) duties. I'm hoping their virtues will complement each other having not really delved into the world of caps much before.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Can't go wrong with the Mundorfs I don't think. Haven't tried the Audyns.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Mundorfs I don't think. Haven't tried the Audyns.
    I'm hoping so Ali, also anything Mr Firebottle recommends can't be all bad . . . .

The Audyn's will hopefully add a touch of copper "richness" to proceedings too. People are going quite loopy about them. Quite expensive yes but quality costs!

I'm matt.

Did you try the Audyn true copper max? Only asking because I have some 0.33uf for sale.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Did you try the Audyn true copper max? Only asking because I have some 0.33uf for sale.
    Tried them, love them. They certainly add something to my pre-amp (which has other issues unfortunately). When it was working it sounded excellent. I'm actually just looking in my other pre-amp to check the value of the caps as I'd be looking to put them in there too.

Will get back to you, cheers Matt.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Tried them, love them. They certainly add something to my pre-amp (which has other issues unfortunately). When it was working it sounded excellent. I'm actually just looking in my other pre-amp to check the value of the caps as I'd be looking to put them in there too.

Will get back to you, cheers Matt.
    Very natural sounding with no glare I thought. But not dull either.

Had them in my Quad 306 for quite a while but I started to get one channel acting weird, so I tried all sorts of things, but ended up with hum in both speakers that got worse depending on where these massive coupling caps were positioned (or even if I touched them). In the end I replaced them with some much smaller Mundorf Mcap evo oil and now there is silence. If I could put them back in without the hum I would

I wonder if it's the 5" long wires I have to use to attach them to the circuit board? Tempted to try something like screened cable before selling...

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post

I wonder if it's the 5" long wires I have to use to attach them to the circuit board? Tempted to try something like screened cable before selling...
    Could try (gently) heat-shrinking them up to where they meet the board/cap. Might help if the hum is related to electrical noise. They are large, I was using them in conjunction with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil and the combination is something I won't forget in a hurry. Unfortunately the memory is all I have at the moment as like I say my pre-amp is playing up.

Never seem to have it all working together well for longer then 5 minutes!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast