+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coupling caps for tube preamp

I'm Chris.

Default Coupling caps for tube preamp

Looking for some recommendations for coupling caps for my Musical Paradise MP-701 tube preamp.

2 X 0.33uf (0.22-0.33 are acceptable) + 2 X 2.2uf (1-4.7uf are acceptable). Voltage needs to be 450v or up.

I'm assuming towards the higher end of the values it just allows a few more low end frequencies in? Could be wrong though.

Would be nice to keep it under £100 the lot but its a very nice pre-amp so super-caps are not out of the question.

I've tried Obligato Gold premium which were very nice as well as Ansar Supersound Audio which again were surprisingly good to my ears. The Ob's being a little richer and fuller and the Ansar's more detailed and accurate.

Cheers.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Lots of choice on Hi-Fi Collective.

Shootout here with lots of info-

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Found these good at (relatively) non-foo prices-

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...itycap_mr.html
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Cheers Ali,

indeed been reading all around those cap shoot-outs recently so interested to hear some "real" users opinions and what might work best in my particular preamp. As you know one man's "best ever" in his system, is another man's "don't touch with barge pole" in another.

Its got a lot of potential though this preamp so deserves some R&D on my behalf.

Nice one.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No worries, yes you need to try yourself, as you say everyone's ears and equipment are different.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

At pocket money prices I have always had good results with the Mundorf Mcap EVO.
    If you want to push the boat out a little you could try the Mundorf Mcap EVO Silver/Gold, all at Hi-fi Collective.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    At pocket money prices I have always had good results with the Mundorf Mcap EVO.
    If you want to push the boat out a little you could try the Mundorf Mcap EVO Silver/Gold, all at Hi-fi Collective.
    Thanks Alan, yes they have popped up on the radar.

As for something a little left field (if not in the upper regions of my budget) these look interesting. Supposed to sound very good and something a bit vintage western electricy about them.

Not that you see them in the preamp but I like the tweed/cork look all the same. Subliminally organic, implying simple "get job done" attitude.

Also really like the twisted copper wires, very cool.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...apacitors.html

672546_tme.jpg

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have some of those in my speakers' tweeter crossover.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I have some of those in my speakers' tweeter crossover.
    Did you go for the KPAL or KPCU Ali? (Aluminum or Copper).

If they're good I also plan to use them in a speaker crossover (actually to add a tweeter to a full range driver).

The 3.3uF has a diameter of 8cm . . . . much cap for your ££!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

KPCU. I've three caps in parallel though, so can't really say how they sound on their own. Very happy with the speakers though.

Also use these which are good-

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...il_in_wax.html

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast