+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any unusual projects in the pipeline?

I'm Mike.

I'm currently in the process of creating my rat turntable, its a turntable made from sold bamboo, utilizing a live (or dead) rat as a tonearm. Early results are not promising. +Update+ dead rats are best as they are stiff, and offer excellent resonance.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Ian.

Which end are you mounting the cartridge - head or tail? Are you embalming the rat or just putting up with the smell as it rots away?

I'm Andrew.

No more major projects for me. It's just listening to vinyl and maybe some tube rolling.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The bass will be tighter and better defined ported (I didn't have the ABR's anyway and don't want them ).
    To me ports are not an absolute clear winner, and although the mass of the drone does slow its transient response, usually most of the transient information is harmonics, and hence above the drone's range.
    I like their purity and smoothness, and don't like the noises that come from many ports.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is that two meter movements hosed in one case - like the Modulometer of the Nagra two-channel recorders?
    I don't know that Nagra, all the ones I used were mono, in the early seventies, but yes, the two needles share the same axis, and this made the movements expensive to produce. It's all Sifam now.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I'm currently in the process of creating my rat turntable, its a turntable made from sold bamboo, utilizing a live (or dead) rat as a tonearm. Early results are not promising. +Update+ dead rats are best as they are stiff, and offer excellent resonance.
    You might find a fresh one has more self damping.

I'm Andrew.

This is a major project for me but suspect it will not be viewed that way by many . I have already converted an original pair of KEF 103 Reference speakers (Circa 1973/4) to active using a MiniDSP HD24 as the crossover , Dac , Pre and DSP unit using Dirac live . I have since bought a second pair of KEF 103,s from another AOS member and I am now going to double the speakers up one on top of the other as per stacked Quads.

Both will be active the top set will be full range Bass and Treble unit connected . The bottom pair will have the Bass units only connected in parallel with the upper bas units which should increase the bass output but half the Ohm load to 4 Ohm . They will again be controlled by a MiniDSP unit for crossover duties , DAC , Pre and then treated with Dirac Live 2.0 DSP . I have decided that I will take a few pictures and write a little about the process on my Instagram account . These will then be powered by a pair of NVA 20P stereo power amplifiers , one for each side Left and Right . My intention is to complete these in time for the WigWam Show on Sunday 15th as I have a room booked so will need to get started very soon .

It has been suggested that it might be an idea to convert the system to a three way with one B200 unit just doing the Midrange and the other just doing the low bass . That may well be something I would consider in the future but it has too many issues for me to try and sort now (MiniDSP unit is only a one in four out so would need a second to make a three way work and the addition of another power amplifier )
    Given also my limited technical and practical skills I think I will stick to what I know and understand for now anyhting else will have to come later .

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Im working on a Copy of the Carmen Twiggy Mannequin Head for my Headphones.. I wont have Carmen on mine when its done & it will be done in Epoxy casting resin finished in matt white instead of the original Polystyrene.. The face is already down at the graphic company being printed.. Late 60s' Circa.. Every women had Carmen heated Hair curlers back then.

See attached an original
    Reminds me of the cover of this album.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    This is a major project for me but suspect it will not be viewed that way by many . I have already converted an original pair of KEF 103 Reference speakers (Circa 1973/4) to active using a MiniDSP HD24 as the crossover , Dac , Pre and DSP unit using Dirac live . I have since bought a second pair of KEF 103,s from another AOS member and I am now going to double the speakers up one on top of the other as per stacked Quads.

Both will be active the top set will be full range Bass and Treble unit connected . The bottom pair will have the Bass units only connected in parallel with the upper bas units which should increase the bass output but half the Ohm load to 4 Ohm . They will again be controlled by a MiniDSP unit for crossover duties , DAC , Pre and then treated with Dirac Live 2.0 DSP . I have decided that I will take a few pictures and write a little about the process on my Instagram account . These will then be powered by a pair of NVA 20P stereo power amplifiers , one for each side Left and Right . My intention is to complete these in time for the WigWam Show on Sunday 15th as I have a room booked so will need to get started very soon .

It has been suggested that it might be an idea to convert the system to a three way with one B200 unit just doing the Midrange and the other just doing the low bass . That may well be something I would consider in the future but it has too many issues for me to try and sort now (MiniDSP unit is only a one in four out so would need a second to make a three way work and the addition of another power amplifier )
    Given also my limited technical and practical skills I think I will stick to what I know and understand for now anyhting else will have to come later .
    A friend of mine tried 'stacking' B&W DM2 speakers. IMO it didn't work, regardless of whether the tweeters were close together or the woofers, the effect was just distracting. Was it one violinist or two (the second standing on the shoulders of the first)?

You may however find the KEF 103s more amenable to stacking.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A friend of mine tried 'stacking' B&W DM2 speakers. IMO it didn't work, regardless of whether the tweeters were close together or the woofers, the effect was just distracting. Was it one violinist or two (the second standing on the shoulders of the first)?

You may however find the KEF 103s more amenable to stacking.
    If I was getting that involved I would really make sure that the speaker components warranted the work, and having multiple mids I find offensive, (MTM), let alone multiple tweeters spaced apart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast