+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any unusual projects in the pipeline?

I'm Andre.

Barry:
    I was glad to see the back of my 'DM2a' Big obstrusive things that gave me nothing a pair of stand mounters could, which were the 'D5'..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Barry:
    I was glad to see the back of my 'DM2a' Big obstrusive things that gave me nothing a pair of stand mounters could, which were the 'D5'..
    I really like the DM2as. I use them mainly for AV duties in the TV room, powered either by a class D amp, or a Quad 520. Yes they are big and I would prefer something smaller (maybe B&W DM5 or Rogers LS7), but they only cost me £50.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Sorry I think you have missed what I am doing . The bottom speaker will not have its tweeter connected so it will be producing no sound at all . Only the bass unit and due to od way these drivers are attached to the cabinet I will be able to make the bottom speaker have the bass unit at the top and the tweeter on the bottom which will bring the two bass drivers closer together which should help with intergration . I know that a single speaker as an active sounds excellent and if when I do the set up the second pair does not improve things all I need to do is disconnect it and go back to a single unit . It will be fun in a strange masochistic way given how awful I am at the physical elements of any build and hope fully it will be able to produce some sweet music when finished.

Stacked Quads are one example of when this idea can work as when I have heard a pair (Quad ?) they have always sounded wonderful .

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Sorry I think you have missed what I am doing . The bottom speaker will not have its tweeter connected so it will be producing no sound at all . Only the bass unit and due to od way these drivers are attached to the cabinet I will be able to make the bottom speaker have the bass unit at the top and the tweeter on the bottom which will bring the two bass drivers closer together which should help with intergration . I know that a single speaker as an active sounds excellent and if when I do the set up the second pair does not improve things all I need to do is disconnect it and go back to a single unit . It will be fun in a strange masochistic way given how awful I am at the physical elements of any build and hope fully it will be able to produce some sweet music when finished.

Stacked Quads are one example of when this idea can work as when I have heard a pair (Quad ?) they have always sounded wonderful .
    Thing is they are not bass units as such but both are handling 95% of the output so you are going to get cancellation and reinforcement and so on. I think you'd get a better result by putting a high pass filter on the lower unit so it only delivers bass, essentially making a 2 and a half way speaker with the upper unit doing bass and mids and the lower just the bass below, say, 200 Hz.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I really like the DM2as. I use them mainly for AV duties in the TV room, powered either by a class D amp, or a Quad 520. Yes they are big and I would prefer something smaller (maybe B&W DM5 or Rogers LS7), but they only cost me £50.
    The 'D5' were better than the 'DM5'.. Same with the 'DM4' i couldnt get on with those..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Thing is they are not bass units as such but both are handling 95% of the output so you are going to get cancellation and reinforcement and so on. I think you'd get a better result by putting a high pass filter on the lower unit so it only delivers bass, essentially making a 2 and a half way speaker with the upper unit doing bass and mids and the lower just the bass below, say, 200 Hz.
    Yes that would be better. The stacked DM2s I heard really did sound odd, regardless of which way around they were stacked.

Stacked Quad (57s) work because the bass, mid and treble panels are effectively doubled (in height) in a seamless manner. However the doubling of the height of the narrow treble panel does cause the beamwidth in the vertical plane to effectively be halved, so exacerbating the 'letter box' effect.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Yes I agree.

I'm Alan.

Only unusual one for me is a Mains DC blocker DC03 from Peranders Group buy thread
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...nsformers.html

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123