+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Ireland

I'm David.

Default Greetings from Ireland

There y'go.
    Over the years I kept getting given some older audio gear that I never really sought out, it just landed on me.
    I knew it was reasonably good stuff, but time had taken its toll on it, so some of it needed some care and attention / repair.
    Right now there's a pair of Leak 3080s which I re-drivered a few years ago with some cheap and cheerful budget units, which sound ok to me.
    The originals sounded better before they died, of course, but it wasn't economically viable to have them rebuilt.
    They're just driven by an AV amp and form the backbone of my home cinema system, but I must say they help in a large way to do justice to anything the amp can handle.
    The oldest piece of audio gear I was using for the past couple of years as a PC sound system is a Grundig STG 3091 solid state receiver/ amp which sounded great; lovely tone from it.
    Looking it up, I discovered it was quite expensive in Germany in 1968 or so - nearly a thousand DM, and aimed at the well-to-do buyers who just wanted something that sounded good.
    I'm convinced that Grundig deliberately made it sound as close to their previous valve amps as they could - and in that, they succeeded quite well, at least to my ears.

Got other old gear kicking around, like Kenwood amps and receivers from the 80s, Toshiba pre-amp and amp from the 70s, both of which are in use driving the workshop sounds... I do like a bit of banging choons while i wield the spanners. Luckily I have no near neighbours, so I can wazz it up high when I feel like it.

Dave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS David.

Grundig were popular in the UK in the '60s, especially their reel-to-reel machines, which were significantly better than the BSR models. They are now owned by a Turkish company and their name is now attached to 'white goods' such as washing machines.

I would be interested to see a photo of your Grundig STG 3091 - typing that into Google it comes up with the Blaupunkt STG 391, which is a different company.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 14-06-2021 at 18:52. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Welcome friend from Eire (great musical heritage there!

When I lived in Germany in the mid-1950's, our family had a big old Grundig radio featuring "UKW" which is German for "FM", and the illuminated glass tuning band mentioned stations like Droitwich, Luxemburg and other old-time AM and LW stations with upwards of 50thousand watts, all off air today.
    There was no stereo yet on this particular radio, but the sound was warm and rich, very pleasant. Valves, of course.

Grundig was a top brand, same as SABA, Telefunken and others, and they were pioneers in tape recorders, with Philips, before the Japanese wave.

I guess I'm more familiar with vintage audio than with today's developments, I'm afraid. Can't even burn a CD properly, I've recently found out, when I sent my brother-in-law a CD that didn't produce the slightest sound on his player... and when I ordered the same (legal) CD from the producer, it never arrived because my brother-in-law lives in the remotest woods of Wallonia and ... it just never arrived there. I gave up, money doesn't grow on trees.

Cheers!

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Hello Dave. Welcome to AOS.

There's a lot of us here who like tinkering with old Hi-Fi equipment, so you'll be in good company.

Join in the chat and get to know the members, they're all friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS David.

Grundig were popular in the UK in the '60s, especially their reel-to-reel machines, which were significantly better than the BSR models. They are now owned by a Turkish company and thier name is now attached to 'white goods' such as washing machines.

I would be interested to see a photo of your Grundig STG 3091 - typing that into Google it comes up with the Blaupunkt STG 391, which is a different company.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Sorry, I don't know why I typed Grundig, as it's actually a Blaupunkt STG 3091.
    It's the less desireable now, but fashionable at the time, white plastic case. Which probably helped keep the price down on the used market. Made no difference to me, as I was quite happy with the sound it made, and as a PC sound system it was absolutely excellent.
    I suspect that Blaupunkt were after the same market, at the time.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I used to have a Blaupunkt radio in my car, and very good it was too. It's sad to see many traditional brands being bought up and moving down market, with all the construction now done in China.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread