+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your reel-to-reel history?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Anyone know anything about those German Ballfinger R+R machines?
    Only what you can see on their web site
    I think they look fantastic and if I had that sort of spare cash I would buy one

http://www.ballfinger.de/tape-recorder-m-063-h5

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Anyone know anything about those German Ballfinger R+R machines?
    At first glance they may seem very expensive, but you must remember that a R2R machine is way more complex than a turntable. Creating a top class tape transport, which allows the tape to cross the heads at a constant speed without flexing or wandering across the head, is very challenging. You only have to look at the massive compiex castings on a Studer A820 or A80 to realise that getting the chassis absolutely stiff and stable is difficult. Compare that to the consumer machines using pressed steel to hold the reel tables stable.
    The pictures of the Ballfinger casting show that they are trying to get this crucial bit right. The first customers have received their machines, which is a good thing. Nothing worse than vapourware. One just has to hope that they keep going and that the owners can access spares and service for as along as Studer owners have managed to keep their machines going.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Super collection Alan !! Love how everything looks so clean and in great order as well
    Thanks Robbie
    They are not like that when I get them of course and its a challenge getting some of them fully functional and calibrated, but once done they are very reliable.
    When you look inside most of these R2R players are very well engineered and robust
    Which is why it costs a fortune to design and build a new one today as Charlie says above

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Primare View Post
    The Pioneer RT909 is certainly a beautiful machine isnt it

Alan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It sure is, worth having one just to look at. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Is that yours Alan?

You done much fettling to it?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Is that yours Alan?

You done much fettling to it?
    No Ali it was posted by Primare, I haven't even see one in the flesh before TBH
    How is yours ?

Alan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Fine as far as I know lol, it's in storage. It looks great and seems fine operationally, just never sounded as good as the Tandberg, so don't know if that's just how it is or it needs looking at.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andre.

Those thin on the Ground black Pioneer 'RT-909' were loverly..

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye they are, never sold to the public originally.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast